We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

Traveling first week in April (3ladies) want to spend 3days traveling the PCH. Where are good overnight stops with budget friendly/clean/safe accomodations?

We fly into LAX on a Tues and out of SFO on a Sunday, so will not stay in LAX but might have to end stay in SFO or close to in order to get late afternoon flight. Want to see a little north of SFO so we will try to do that early a.m that sunday before flying out.

thanks!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,867 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

Hi

If your trip is really just the section of the highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco, then ask on the California state forum page. There are numerous articles linked to the Top Questions on that page (right side, full TripAdvisor website.)

If you're planning to drive up the Pacific Coast on Hwy 1 and Hwy 101 including CA, OR, and WA, then continue asking here.

Note: There is just one small section of this route that is called the "Pacific Coast Highway" or "PCH." When you ask on the California forum, just talk about the coastal drive. And let them know that you're not including any time in the cities of Los Angeles / L.A. or San Francisco / SF. The three letters refer just to the airport.

My guess is that you're thinking about something like LAX (airport) - Santa Barbara - Cambria - Monterey - ?Pacifica / Half Moon Bay / San Francisco / what is "north of SFO"? - SFO (airport)

California: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

There are coupon books for hotel/motel discounts at tourist info. centers. You might even find some at the airport. You can probably find some reasonable lodging in Ventura, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, and even Monterey area. Be sure to check the room first before you check in. Depending on time of year you can probably get some good prices in Cambria. My wife and I usually stay in Morro Bay and last June we got a really nice room for $50.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

Maybe check out Muir Woods north of SF. Lodging right along the coast usually isnot cheap. Grizz already mentioned Ventura (rather than Santa Barbara but SB is a lot nicer for a stay imo) and what's your definition of "budget friendly" Cheaper lodging you also will find at places off coast like Salinas (not recommended) or San Luis Obispo. Some cheap motels along the coast also in Cayucos north of Morro Bay.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,955 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

One of the cheapest motels we ever stayed in in any trip in any part of the USA was a motel in Santa Cruz, but it was in February. It was then an Americas Best Value Inn, but I think it's been rebadged!

SWT

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

A dollar amount really helps! Don't be shy - if you want to spend under "X" dollars per night, say so. Also, keep in mind that some posters on TripAdvisor are not too budget-minded, so don't be discouraged if some say it "can't be done". It can be done, but you may have to make some adjustments to locations, or stay at older, smaller motels without an ocean view :-)

Post #2 - the information in those coupon books is now available online, which allows you to do some advance research! I just looked at Morro Bay and find several extremely reasonably priced properties. Note they usually have some restrictions.

Here is the website:

http://hotelcoupons.com/hotels/california

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

Do you happen to remember the name of lodge you stayed in at Morro Bay for $50?

Also can you advise of which section is that i will definitley need to take my time on? i was thinking to drive as far as Santa Barbara first night, then maybe Santa Cruz before ending somewhere near SFO ..... we arrive on tues. home on Sunday

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

Definitely take your time between Cambria and Monterey. That's most scenic stretch of hw1. That already can take all day with the stops and visits. Don't drive between Santa Barnara and Santa Cruz in one day. With 2 overnight stays we usually recommend Cambria and Monterey for that.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

LBinTN48, if you click on the blue link in post #5, then scroll down the page and click on the green Morro Bay from the list, then scroll down, you'll see several properties in and around Morro Bay for about $50 +/-

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

Great! Thanks so much :)

10. Re: BUDGET Lodging Pacific Coast HWY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 12:05