We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from NYC to Santa Clara, CA

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from NYC to Santa Clara, CA

Relocating due to job change. Packing our car and leaving this Sunday. I'm the only driver. Thinking of doing this in 4-5days.

Gps says to take I-80 pretty much. Is that good or are there better n safer routes along with safer motels/safer areas to stay in. Can someone please help me with the iterinary with night stops.

Thanks a bunch.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from NYC to Santa Clara, CA

I-80 is the most direct and shortest way which is about 3,000 miles so in 5 days do 600 miles a day.

day 1 NYC to NE Ohio past toledo

day 2 toledo area to Omaha

day 3 Omaha to Cheyenne/Laramie/WY

day 4 Cheyenne/Laramie to Elko, NV

day 5 Elko, NV to Santa Clara, CA

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from NYC to Santa Clara, CA

Thank you much.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from NYC to Santa Clara, CA

The issue is weather... Here in the west there is no rain, so no snow on the medium term weather forecasts... Snow seems to be an issue Chicago and east right now...

If the weather cooperates take I-80... if not think about dropping south to I-40, then north once in California...

Do yourself a favor and pull off once in a while... look for local food... look for the occasional local attraction... this will make the drive a trip rather than a slog...

Randy

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from NYC to Santa Clara, CA

At least 5 days. Your overall speed counting rest stops, traffic issues, refuelling, road works won't be more than 55 mph so that's almost 55 hours of driving 3000 miles. If you feel tired add a day to this trip. Safety first and yes there can be snow on the way.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from NYC to Santa Clara, CA

Hi,

I agree with Randy... Let the weather forecast dictate your route. And be ready to alter your route or delay to avoid or wait out a storm. That means having the flexibility to arrive in 6 or 7 days if things turn really bad.

I pre-load all the states' DOT Road Condition Hotlines or websites onto my smartphone. Many will have near real time maps of the road conditions that can help guide you.

Make sure you have plenty of fuel in your car at all times (at least half a tank) so that if you do get stranded, you'll have a means of keeping the car warm. I always carried a cold-weather rated sleeping bag with me when I lived in the Midwest; several blankets would suffice, too. I also had some water and some snacks in the car, too.

Safe travels.

Zed

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,689 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from NYC to Santa Clara, CA

Agree and even on I 40 watch the weather between OKC and Albuquerque.

7. Re: Driving from NYC to Santa Clara, CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:19