We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family East Coast Road Trip

Shirley...
5 posts
Save Topic
Family East Coast Road Trip

My family is taking a road trip at the end of April, including my husband, myself and 4 & 5 year old boys. We are planning the trip around a few clients my husband needs to visit in Atlanta and Huntsville, AL. We live in Central Massachusetts and our first destination is Atlanta followed by Huntsville. I’ve sketched out a rough itinerary but we are looking for suggestions, advice or must see stops. We went to the Shenandoah Valley last year and were not able to see the caves, so that is on our list of to do’s. Also, my husband wants to stop in Nashville. Besides those to do’s, I’m open to all suggestions! Thanks!

Day 1 Leave Central MA. We are looking to get down to Atlanta in 2 days but we are open to leaving a day early. Since we plan on leaving at 4 a.m. will be our longest travel day. We are looking for suggestions for a place to stop in PA for 2-3 hours to let our boys run around before stopping in VA.

Day 2 Drive from VA to Atlanta

Day 3 -5 Atlanta

Day 6 Drive towards Huntsville

Looking for suggestions for stops or possible overnight suggestions on way to Huntsville. We have a few days in between clients and will have some free time in Atlanta.

Day 8-10 Huntsville

Day 11 Huntsville to Nashville

Day 12 Nashville to Shenandoah Valley

Day 13 Shenandoah Valley

Day 14 Head back home. Looking for suggestions for stops, either a few hours or overnight.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family East Coast Road Trip

Some suggestions-

Atlanta- The Aquarium is a must. Also if they love hot dogs then take them to lunch at the Varsity.

In NE Alabama- Little Rive Canyon- drive the scenic drive- very beautiful area-

http://www.nps.gov/liri/index.htm

Huntsville- US Space and Rocket Center- very interesting and a lot of unique things for kids to do-

http://rocketcenter.com/

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family East Coast Road Trip

If you have time you might like to check out the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee, maybe including the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which PeachBelle can tell you all about :) . The mountains in NC are the highest elevation east of the Mississippi and I like them better than the Va mts. There are caves in NC and TN, too, and outfitters that will take you spelunking if you are into that. Not sure how old the boys have to be for that, though. There is also Linville Caverns in NC, but Luray is bigger. There are caves in Alabama, too, not too far from Huntsville, if you're not caved out: …typepad.com/explore/2012/08/7-crazy-caves-o… .

You could stop off in Chattanooga between Atlanta and Huntsville. I've not been, but you can "See Rock City" and Ruby Falls if you need more caves. Chattanooga is supposed to be very nice.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family East Coast Road Trip

Oh yes we love the Great Smoky Mts. NP. We always drive the Cades Cove Loop Rd. and enjoy walking out to all the historic farmhouses, churches, etc. and looking for wildlife. My avatar is from there last July. We enjoy staying in Townsend, TN which is quieter and not like a big amusement park that you will find in Pigeon Forge.

Shirley...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family East Coast Road Trip

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. I will look into arranging our trip to make sure we hit those spots. If anyone has any suggestions for stops in PA on the way down, it would be most appreciated, as well. Thanks!

5. Re: Family East Coast Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:19