We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip honeymoon!

Bolton, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Roadtrip honeymoon!

We are getting married the first week of August this year. We almost never get to go abroad together so we are really hoping to make the most of it with this trip. We have booked our flights and are narrowing down our route. So we're just looking for advice - recommendations on where to stay, if there's a slightly different route you would take, any 'must see's' on the way. We are aware there is a lot of driving involved, however we see that as part of the adventure. We are also thinking of camping several nights along the way, to feel a bit more at one with the locations. We enjoy hiking, and outdoor activities/sights as apposed to nightlife and luxuries. Other than the obvious heat factor of the desert, is there anything we should know about the areas we are planning on going to?

Day 1 (10th) We fly to San Francisco, arriving late that evening. Stay overnight in San Fran.

Day 2 (11th) Day in San Francisco sightseeing, Overnight in San Fran.

Day 3 (12th) Hire car first thing (or the night before) and drive to Yosemite. Walk/hire a bike. See the sequoia trees. Overnight in Yosemite.

Day 4 (13th) Up early, drive towards Vegas, this is a long way - stop somewhere for lunch and stretch our legs, Mammoth Lakes? Evening wander around Vegas along the strip. Overnight in Vegas.

Day 5 (14th) Morning sightseeing in Vegas. See Hoover Dam and head to Zion NP. Overnight in Zion.

Day 6 (15th) Morning walk in Zion emerald pools. Head to Grand Canyon in time for sunset. Overnight Grand Canyon.

Day 7 (16th) Up very early, see sunrise over Grand Canyon. Hike - bright angel trail? Drive towards Lake Powell. Overnight in Lake Powell.

Day 8 (17th) Take in the views of Lake Powell. Drive to Antelope Canyon and take a tour. Drive to Monument valley and take a Navajo tour. Overnight Monument Valley.

Day 9 (18th) Drive to Arches NP Moab. Drive to Salt Lake City airport.

Flight to Orlando (my parents have a house there) have a nice relaxing 6 days, then fly home.

Would you suggest staying overnight at locations between two destinations to break up the driving or stay in the destination itself. For example drive to Yosemite first thing in the morning, have the day there, and also stay overnight there, starting the drive to Vegas the next day. Or... Drive to Yosemite first thing, have the day there, then in the evening drive a few hours towards Vegas, staying overnight somewhere in the middle, then in the morning you're closer towards Vegas. If that makes sense!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,091 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip honeymoon!

Hi

Welcome to the Road Trips forum and congrats on the upcoming nuptials and honeymoon plans.

Just a few quick comments to get the ball rolling. I'd say that's a rather too ambitious plan to mem and I'm not even sure it's possible, even at a break neck pace. Have you booked anything? Have you looked at getting any accommodation in Yosemite or Grand Canyon for your very specific nights yet?

Driving from Yosemite Valley, via Tioga Pass and through Death Valley to Las Vegas is a long day of straight driving with little time to enjoy the many, many wonderful sights along the way.

Hoover Dam and Zion are in totally different directs from Las Vegas.

From Zion, the only bit of Grand Canyon that makes any sense would be North Rim - if you can find anywhere to stay. Bright Angel trail is on the south side and to get down and back in one day needs all day and you'd need to be really fit. You can get down about the third of the route without too much difficulty and back by lunch, however.

Day 9, getting from Monument Valley to Moab, do Arches and get on your way to Salt Lake City for the airport is totally impossible!

I'll leave others to comment more on your plans.

Sorry, but you do have to be realistic - and with August as your dates, you haven't considered the great heat with all this dashing about and sightseeing.

SWT

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip honeymoon!

Hi

If your goal is to spend long hours in the car as a married couple, then your itinerary is perfect. If your goal is to experience a few fabulous destinations as a married couple, then your itinerary just won't work.

What is your travel style? Drive by, take a photo, move on? Or a slower pace that allows you time to walk or hike, "smell the roses", and experience the place?

For example, a basic visit to Yosemite NP is 3 full days. You're allowing one afternoon and a departure the next morning. San Francisco (SF) "deserves" 3 full days, but you're allowing one.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip honeymoon!

Congratulations on your engagement and the upcoming wedding.

I suggest that you go to Mapquest or Google Maps and enter all your stops. That will give you an idea of the driving time from point to point, but that is without breaks. Your last day from Monument Valley to Salt Lake City for example is 396 miles. I would allow at least 9 hours for that trip, and that's without stopping at Moab.

If you rent in San Francisco and leave from SLC you will pay a drop charge for the car.

Bolton, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip honeymoon!

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, that's why I wanted to run it by people who might have been to these places before. I have also read other forums, and it certainly looks like we'll be pushed to fit it all in, i'm wondering where to slim it down really. My previous experience of roadtrip style holidays is trek America, pretty much a different place each day, so the fast paced side of things is how I've done it previously. Although granted I wasn't driving then!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,091 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip honeymoon!

You still haven't answered the questions:

What is your travel style, what do you want for this trip, your honeymoon?

What, if any bookings, commitments do you have yet for busy August?

SWT

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip honeymoon!

Hi.

Hmm...reads like my honeymoon road trip which was actually a lot faster than that even!...But I would never suggest it for anyone else and would not do it again, the road trip bit I mean ; ). You can drive it, but its your expectations of what you'll fit in at each location that seem a bit, well a lot in a couple of instances, ambitious.

If your going to slim it, given your flights being booked then its the eastern Grand Canyon loop locations and those three nights.

I've had a good look at SF in just a day, so I'd put one in Yosemite, one at Lone Pine to break the drive to Vegas (through a roasting Death Valley) and another one in Zion. You could take a look at Bryce Canyon on route to SLC then, or have that other night there maybe.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 09:48
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roadtrip honeymoon!

Hope The Stig is behind the wheel ;-)

I'd cut out Page, Monument Valley and Moab. I can understand you will want to see Grand Canyon NP so suggest to make a reservation at North Rim for one night. If they still have vacancy, only one lodge (Forever resort)

San Francisco-Yosemite-Lone Pine-Las Vegas-North rim-Zion-Bryce-Salt Lake City. Hope not too late for Yosemite reservations either.

8. Re: Roadtrip honeymoon!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:22