We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Marseilles to Munich in August without pre-booked st

Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Marseilles to Munich in August without pre-booked st

We have 3 weeks and a car to make our way from Marseilles to Munich before our return to Australia in August. We had originally hoped to just take it as it comes and find places to stop when and where we liked but I'm receiving advice that this may not work in August with high tourist season and lots of Europeans also on leave. We had also hoped to perhaps travel to Prague as part of the trip but I'm unsure whether that's too far out of the way. Any suggestions appreciated. Another alternative is to book say 1 week in accommodation around the Lake Como area with day trips and then a second week in Australia. Thanks for any suggestions in advance (though we are very flexible and easy going we actually leave Australia in May and this is the final month of a 4 month trip so don't want our last memories to be of stress filled days with accommodation hassles)

London, England...
Level Contributor
4 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Marseilles to Munich in August without pre-booked st

Sounds like a brilliant trip. If you are starting in the s of France, you'd regret missing one of the best driving roads in Europe, the Route Napoleon. I did it a few years ago and the views are fabulous. Take a look here:

ultimatedrives.net/top-10-roads/details.php…

There are some other great roads there too.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,519 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Marseilles to Munich in August without pre-booked st

Avoid the time around August 15 unless you like sitting in heavy traffic in 40C+, also accommodation might be difficult to find.

Remember that you will have to bring the car back again in order to avoid the huge international drop-off fee that you will incur.

An IDP is compulsory for Austria (I'm sure that's what you meant :) ) You will also need a vignette. Make sure the rental agency will allow you to take the car to these countries - the Czech Republic might not be on its list of 'approved' countries. But even if it is, don't try driving in Prague - get a bus from Munich (€29 each way)

3. Re: Driving Marseilles to Munich in August without pre-booked st

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 06:18