We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

4 posts
Save Topic
New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

We are planning a drive from New York to Las Vegas. We plan to leave on 2/10 and arrive in vegas no later than 2/15. We are driving there trade show with a cargo van. Since it is for work, we are not looking to stop anywhere for sightseeing. Would like to know, given the weather condition, what is the best/safest route we should go. Thank you in advance!!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

Hi Qian H,

Given all the huge storms in the center and eastern part of the country this year, my recommendation is that you wait until the last minute to select the route, and do so based on the weather forecast.

You'll also need to keep an eye on the forecast every few hours as you're driving, and you'll have to be ready to make adjustments as needed to avoid weather.

Build as much flexibility into your plan to allow you to delay for a day if the weather turns really bad.

Finally, load the states' Department of Transportation Road Conditions hotline phone numbers and websites into your smart phone so you can quickly check the road conditions along your route.

You're looking at almost 2,600 miles (from NYC) and, under perfect conditions with minimal stops for food, fuel, and rest breaks, you'll have four 10-11 hour days of driving. (If your "cargo van" is really more like a U-Haul truck, you'll be looking at even longer driving days.)

If you can add another day or two to the trip, I would do so.

Safe travels.

Zed

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

Thank you for the advice Zed!!!

You are right about waiting till the last min and adjust for weather conditions. So far I have planned:

Day 1 NY - Lexington, KY

Day 2 Lexington, KY - Kansas

Day 3 Kansas - Denver

Day 4 Denver - Las Vegas

Any thoughts on this?

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

And any advice on taking the route through CO & UT? Are we crossing lots of mountains? No good for cargo van?

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,267 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

The concern i have is the weather in Colorado. Going through mountains and some of I-70 is a high climb and alot of turns. The route seems fine of basically taking I-70 to I-15.

An alternate route that is less likely to get the snow falls you could get is a more southern route.

Go I-70 yo Indy and STL then take I-44 to Oklahoma city, then I-40 then up north to Las Vegas...this way has less mountain climbin and less chance of heavy snow that blocks your ability to drive through.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

Right. The drive through panhandle MD and through WV isnot that easy either. I'd take another route.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

Just keep a close eye ahead of time on I-40 across the panhandle of Texas to avoid the infamous black ice storms across there. You would not want to hit one of those towing a trailer as it can be some of the worst driving conditions I've ever seen.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

Albuquerque and Gallup are around 6,000 to 6,5000 feet in elevation, so while better, it's not without risk. Easier to drive than I-70 through Colorado, but I got snowed in at Gallup one trip. Was lucky enough to get the last hotel room and hunkered down for the storm.

Zed

4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

Thank you everyone!!!

I will check the weather along i40!

Edited: 07 February 2014, 17:20
New York
Level Contributor
846 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

Id say generally go as south as possible, but even there they have gotten snow. Atlanta just had some which was a surprise to them.

Agreed, check the weather. How big is the vehicle you are driving? This may help with knowing about these mountain passes you might encounter.

10. Re: New York to Las Vegas next week (2/10-2/15)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:21