We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

Beckley, West...
8 posts
Save Topic
Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

My husband and i are planning on riding our motorcycles out west starting on August 15 and returning home on August 31st. Need advise on the route/itinerary....We wanted to go and come back different routes to see more of the country. But i also want to see more of the scenic country so if we go and come back the same way then that will be fine.... Google maps has us going I80 to Kansas City then to Nebraska on to the Tetons or we could go I70 all the way to Denver then onto I80.... I had planned on going to the Tetons first then Yellowstone, Cody, Beartooth Highway, Black Hills/Deadwood/Mount Rushmore/Badlands and then home. Or we could take I90 and see everything in a different order. My pre plan has us staying 2 nights in the Tetons, 3 nights in Yellowstone....not sure on the rest, since were on motorcycles i didn't want to set the rest in stone but maybe have a general idea of where we would be on what day. ...Just wanted advice on which route everyone recommended. Would also like advice on # of days to spend at each location and if anyone has any other scenic byways that we should ride let me know.......

Posted in Yellowstone forum and got link to this forum....

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,441 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

Hi

Welcome to the Road Trips forum.

I cannot offer much advice as we don't ride motorcycles, and haven't done the trip all the way from WV, but I sure hope sandiw is watching as I know she did much of the territory you plan to cover on their bike trip last summer.

SWT

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

For the return ... One could consider jumping on the US 20. Departing, at any place before Rockford IL. carracar

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

Hi

That will be a mightly long trip. With all the drives and maybe detours count on at least 4500 miles for a roundtrip. We have done most of the drives on us50 bypassing the interstates as much as possible but it will take a lot of extra time but much nicer to ride imo. And same goes for us20 from Yellowstone to the east. But of course Beartooth is a great option either on the way to Red Lodge and follow I90 from there or drive Beartooth to Rock Creek Vista and back and via Chief Joseph to Cody. Both routes will get you to Black Hills/Badlands SD for a visit but 14 days will make this a rushed trip.

Tet

Beckley, West...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

From playing around on google maps the mileage round trip is anywhere from 4500 to 5000 miles round trip. I wish we had more time but i'll take 16 nights 17 days.... We have never took that much time off from work before...I was thinking on the way there it would be like we were on a mission to get there so we could have more time to enjoy the sights once we got there and on the way back. I'm estimating 3 days to get from WV to Jackson Hole Wyoming. On the return i know of people who have done the return trip from Sturgis in 2 days. I'm estimating 5 nights 6 days out of our total time for the drive to and return....

Not sure if we should go West on I70 or I80

Friday 8/15---depart

Saturday 8/16---riding

Sunday 8/17--riding--arrive in Jackson Hole or near.

Monday 8/18--Grand Teton

Tuesday 8/19 --Grand Teton

Wednesday 8/20--Yellowstone-Lake Lodge--booked but trying to get Old Faithful Inn

Thursday 8/21--Yellowstone Lake Lodge--booked

Friday 8/22--Yellowstone Lake Lodge-booked

Saturday 8/23 through Friday 8/29--7 nights to see Cody/Chief Joseph/Beartooth/Black Hills/Mount Rushmore/Deadwood/Badlands.....

Saturday 8/30--depart for HOME....

Sunday 8/31--on the road, hope to make it home tonight....if not we have Monday 9/1 Labor Day.

I know it's a lot in a short amount of time but it's all we have. I've been like a little kid researching all the places..I'm so excited. My husband said we don't need to go now that i've looked at it so much online.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

I70 west of Denver is very scenic. You can drive to Grand Junction and take another scenic route to Vernal, Flaming Gorge, Rock Springs and to Jackson but it will be a detour. Do you really want to ride 1500 miles in 2 days? (Sturgis-Beckley?)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

Or you could do Denver-Rabbit Ears Pass- Steamboat-Craig-Jackson.... very scenic, but it seems to me that you are really pushing it with time.:

http://goo.gl/maps/VwJGF

The nice thing about Lake Lodge cabins is that you can keep your bike right next to the cabin rather than in a big parking lot, with big bison roaming around. But you are wise to grab a night at OF.

My first trip to Yellowstone was on the back of a bike on a long road trip like yours & I lost my nose & lips to the sun & wind. Should have used more protection but young & foolish(er). So beware LOL that wind!

When you drive the Beartooth down into Red Lodge, it's a rite of passage for all bikers to stop at Bone Daddy's right on the main street, Broadway, Great folks:

http://www.bonedaddyscustomcycle.com

Edited: 09 February 2014, 23:31
Beckley, West...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

Tet14, no i don't want to but if i have to......I have 1 extra day which would be Labor Day to travel home, so that would make it 3 days for return trip. A little easier on the body hopefully.

I have also heard of the beautiful scenery west of I70 in Denver. Just wish we had more time.

I've always wanted to travel out west but never had the time or money.....my husband mentioned the trip in October and i said let's do it.... if we never start planning then it will definitely never happen....so we've been saving ever since. This will probably be our once in a lifetime trip....We usually do staycations.

We've never had the opportunity to travel and explore so i just want to fill up my bucket list. I know we will get rained on (hopefully not much) our bodies will be sore and tired but after all is said and done we will be glad we did it and thank God for the opportunity to see this beautiful country.

delalicat, thanks for reminding about the wind.....we wear full face helmets (helmet law in WV) and will probably wear them even in states with no helmet law (most of the time).

I hadn't hear of Bone Daddy's i'll check it out. I've watched so many videos of the Beartooth highway it's absolutely gorgeous.

I wanted to ride to Glacier National Park (going to the sun rd) but i knew that would really be pushing it, basically just riding no stopping/sleeping/eating etc....lol

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

Oh, very prudent to wear helmets- my helmet was just not full-face - don't take those helmets off!

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
479 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

Hello..it's me ..Sandiw the unofficial motorcycle not quite expert on board! Well I can't help you in any of the area's East of let's say Kansas..we stay west/north/south of there. The only advice I can give is ..stay on the bi-ways and state highways as much as possible. The really most miles we've been able to clock is 550-600 miles per day. Our style has always been ride like hell (Interstate) till we get to the area of country we call destination..then stay off Interstates as much as possible Tet is right on..the ride up and past the Flaming Gorge in Wyoming is worth the detour then north on 30 to Kemmerer to189 and on up to Jackson. I might make 1 suggestion ..if you could get on Hi-way 50 coming into Colorado from the east..I think some call this the longest and lonely hiway..you could then take a more southern route up to Wyoming.Just hit I -25 at my home town Pueblo and a really fast interstate drive up to Ft Collins..where you could then start heading west up through Wyoming..be sure not to miss the Big Horn National Park either coming or going .We have done many (Canada/ Lake Tahoe/Lake Havasu/Mazatlan) 3200-3600 mile road trips and are planning another one to the Laughlin River Run in April, then heading south to Tucson. Read a few of my trip reports/ Think I may of passed on a few bike road trip tips in them. Oh and BTW..in August it will be hot..look on line for the Aqua-Vest..amazing vest you can soak down at gas stations/hotel rooms and they will keep you nice and cool. Are you going self contained on the bike? That's the way we ride..lots of folks go in groups with a truck back-up..just wondering..

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
479 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motorcycle trip from WV to Tetons/Yellowstone best route?

Just saw something else in your post..If you will be traveling from Deadwood to Sturgis..take the Hill City turn-off ( just ask anyone and they will direct you) awesome little byway..full of surprises! And just 1 more little tip..we had the most fun going into little diners along the way and opening up our maps on the table..you would be surprised how much help you get from the locals..

Edited: 10 February 2014, 04:04