We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East coast usa road trip July 2014

perth
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
East coast usa road trip July 2014

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are planning to drive the east coast of the US in july. We will be flying into nyc but I have heard car hire will be much cheaper in Washington dc, is this correct?

We pretty much know our route, going to do inland to Tennessee and Memphis, New Orleans and then across to Miami with other stops on the way.

Ideally we want the cheapest one way car hire we can get. Does anyone have any suggested companies?

If anyone has suggestions for must sees along that route we are open to ideas also. Looking at around 2 to 3 weeks drive.

Thanks!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East coast usa road trip July 2014

Welcome to TA and the road trips forum! There are many relevant threads in this forum covering your trip as well as trip reports in the sticky thread atop this forum. See the top question in the right margin about car rentals.

Good planning!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East coast usa road trip July 2014

Usually it will be a bit cheaper to rent from DC instead NY but you also can try Newark. That said we often recommend to take public transport between NY and DC but of course you also can drive if you rent from Newark.

Maybe try www.traveljigsaw,com.au for rentals.

perth
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: East coast usa road trip July 2014

Thank you for the replies. I read through the info on hire cars and got a quote from traveljigsaw. It states that a one way fee will be charged. Is it true that as an international booking that could be waived? The cheapest quote is through alamo.

perth
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: East coast usa road trip July 2014

Thank you for the replies. I read through the info on hire cars and got a quote from traveljigsaw. It states that a one way fee will be charged. Is it true that as an international booking that could be waived? The cheapest quote is through alamo.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East coast usa road trip July 2014

International visitors can get drop of fees waived between certain places or states like between Az, Ca and Nv or inside Florida but usually not between NY and Fl. Alamo is a good company for rentalcars.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,715 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East coast usa road trip July 2014

Hi

It's very rare for anybody to get the one way fee between either NYC or DC and anywhere in FL waived. However, rather than just accept that you quote mentioned that there will be such a charge, I'd call then and find out how much it is. It might be a nasty shock otherwise. The cheapest rental deal might have the most expensive drop fee and vice versa, so you need the figures to compare and make a decision before confirming your reservation.

An alternative sources for the car might be:

http://www.usrentacar.co.uk/

I don't know if you can get prices in AUD. Also look for Driveaway, seen reports from fellow Aussies of good prices.

SWT

7. Re: East coast usa road trip July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:30