We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

Blauvelt, New York
7 posts
Save Topic
Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

We are a party of 5 traveling from Seattle to Yellowstone in July. We plan to leave Seattle on Monday and must be in Helena MT by Thursday evening. Where would be the best overnight on the way to Yellowstone. Any wineries along the way?

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,093 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

You've got enough time to swing south past Mount St Helens to the Columbia Gorge, see the gorge and the waterfalls, then head east to the Palouse area wineries around Walla Walla, before heading back north(east) towards Montana.

I'd look at overnights in Hood River OR and Walla Walla (or Lewiston.) Take a day at Hood River to drive the "historic" Gorge highway and to visit Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood, before heading east up the Columbia toward Walla Walla. There are some lovely and historic towns in the Palouse, like Dayton (the Patit Creek restaurant is one of the best in eastern WA) and then you can follow (scenic) US 12 on into Montana.

Blauvelt, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

Thanks so much for the quick response. I will definitely check it out

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

I ditto the Patit Creek recommendation. You will be shocked at how good the food is! If they have basil ice cream, get it!

You will be on US 12 headed east to Lewiston ID. From there, continue East on Highway 12 up the Clearwater River Canyon paralleling the route of Lewis and Clark. You will continue following rivers (the Selway and the Lochsa) up to Lolo Pass and into Montana. You can spend the night in Missoula and head to Helena from there or you can turn south into the Bitterroot Valley traveling down to Lost Trail Pass where you will turn left toward Dillon. On this route you will pass several units of the Nez Perce National Historical Park, one at Spaulding just outside Lewiston and Big Hole Battlefield near Lost Trail Pass. If you are interested, you could also stay over a day in Lewiston/Clarkston and do a jet boat trip up the Snake River to Hell's Canyon. From Dillon you can head north on I15 to Helena.

Pam

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

I'm a little confused -- are you going to Helena, then Yellowstone?

Alternately, you could go straight to Coeur d'Alene, then north to Sandpoint and head through northern Idaho and Montana on your way to Helena.

I personally wouldn't go all the way down to the Columbia Gorge, but I can see going to US12. Check out the Chief Joseph National Historical Trail. It is an unsual National Monument with many sites along the way. They basically went up US12 and on in to Yellowstone. http://www.nps.gov/nepe/index.htm

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

All great options. You als can drive old Cascades hw to Leavenworth or even head north to North Cascade Mountains NP and continue via hw20 or make the trip to Coolee Dam

Blauvelt, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

Hi - Our plan is to leave Seattle early Monday morning and head to Yellowstone. We must be in Helena for a wedding by Thursday evening. We are looking a good spot to overnight midway. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,093 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

I recommended the Gorge route because (a) it's beautiful and (b) passes through some wine-producing areas, which the northern routes don't (unless you go all the way into BC for the Okanagan vineyards.) The OP could also go over I-90 to I-82 to the Yakima Valley for all the wineries there, but in July it will be pretty hot down there.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 17:46
Blauvelt, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

How about if we skip the wineries, and do a little white water rafting, see a little history? We are not big hikers, and have never been to the west coast. Need a midway point to overnight between Seattle and Yellowstone.

All thoughts appreciated

Eileen

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

So to confirm, you are leaving Seattle Monday morning headed to Yellowstone, then will leave Yellowstone on Thursday to go up to Helena for a wedding that evening.

This is a very short amount of time. I'd overnight in Butte, or as far into Montana as you can get. Don't leave Wallace, Idaho after dark, as you are heading into a very mountainous area. If you leave early morning as you say, you can get to Bozeman if you really want to. Then head to Yellowstone via Livingston on Tuesday morning.

Tour the north end of Yellowstone on Tuesday, spending that night at Canyon, Roosevelt or Lake.

Tour the south end and Old Faithful Wednesday and spend that night at Old Faithful or in West Yellowstone. Drive to Helena on Thursday.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle to Yellowstone - 4 days in July

Oh, I did not key in on your Yellowstone days being included in your Monday to Thursday time frame. Yes, definitely go with Ainwa's recommendations especially about not leaving Wallace if it is dark. It is Interstate highway but is dark as pitch at night.

Pam