We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY to SC using Rts 84, 81, 77 and 26 in March???

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
NY to SC using Rts 84, 81, 77 and 26 in March???

Will be travelling from upstate NY to Charleston, SC in mid-March via car. I hate to use 95 and am looking at alternates. I realize if weather is snowy or icy this proposed route might not be a good choice! But if road conditions were dry and forecast was for good weather, how is the driving using Rts 84 to 81, then picking up 77 and taking it to 26 into Charleston? I realize this is a bit longer than cutting back into 95 somewhere south of DC - but was hoping this might be a less "stressful" drive than using 95. Many thanks for any insight you can share!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NY to SC using Rts 84, 81, 77 and 26 in March???

I-77 around Charlotte is not great traffic-wise, but otherwise it's a good road if there's not fog on the mountain. If foggy conditions worry you, you might want to pick another route, or see if you can time it so you hit the mountains in the middle of the day. I'm not sure why 77 is so susceptible to fog, but I have been on that road a lot and have often hit fog, sometimes with almost zero visibility. More times than not it's all blue sky and sunshine, but fog happens. …blogspot.com/2011/03/i-77-at-fancy-gap-spec…

I-81 has a lot of traffic, too, but it's not as bad as I-95 around DC (nothing is!). I can't advise on the Rt 84 part, but I know a lot of folks in NC who go up I-81 to upstate NY.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NY to SC using Rts 84, 81, 77 and 26 in March???

As someone who lives in upstate NY, I am confused as to your start point if you live in upstate NY as I-84 is well down state near Middletown and Newburgh. Is that where you're starting from?

Assuming it is, I-81 through PA is mostly OK; it can be foggy on the section south of Wilkes Barre/Scranton in the area of the Poconos.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NY to SC using Rts 84, 81, 77 and 26 in March???

Personally, the I95 route makes the most sense. If you can plan your trip so that you hit Washington at an off-peak time (not rush hour), or on a weekend, you will save yourself many unnecessary miles of travel on your proposed route. Once you get past Richmond (and yes there is a by-pass) the traffic thins out considerably, and it becomes less stressful of a drive.

Just a travel shortcut, exit I81 just the other side of Harrisburg at 581 (it exits left) and take it to US15 (towards Gettysburg). Pick up I270 at Frederick towards Washington.

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NY to SC using Rts 84, 81, 77 and 26 in March???

rjr0810 - I am near Albany and would take the Thruway south and pick up I84 near Newburgh. Sorry I didn't make this part of my trip clear!

To all who responded - many thanks in sharing your thoughts/experience. I'll hope for some good weather and give this route a try.

5. Re: NY to SC using Rts 84, 81, 77 and 26 in March???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:23