We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP PLEASE: Road Trip from New York to Austin

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
HELP PLEASE: Road Trip from New York to Austin

Hi TA,

Myself and friends are thinking about driving from New York this July to Austin Texas. We are males in out mid twenties looking to see America, party and experience something different. Ideally would see a combination of lively towns/cities with good night life and some unique sight seeing. We are also not impartial to spending a few days trekking if its worth is as it was in Yosemite last year.

Its a huge amount of the US to cover and we only have 2 weeks so was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few potential routes?

Thank you in Advance,

Naser

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,724 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP PLEASE: Road Trip from New York to Austin

That's around 1800 miles which means a few long driving days if you want any long stops en route but the obvious route would take you close to Great Smokeys National Park as well as through Nashville, Memphis and Dallas/Fort Worth.

http://goo.gl/maps/7O54n

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP PLEASE: Road Trip from New York to Austin

Thank you for your reply.

Yes is a heft old distance but we quite like the driving so that isn't an issue. The most important thing is to make sure we go to the right places.

I like your route. Initially this is the route i was thinking about taking however my friend liked was considering going do towards the East Coast Via Washington and Panama city, New Orleans and Houston. What are your thoughts here?

Its quite a difficult decision really as either i go through the Nashville etc or towards the coats really unsure which route would be better... ?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,098 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP PLEASE: Road Trip from New York to Austin

If you come down the coast then there is Charleston, Savannah, Panama City Beach, New Orleans and San Antonio that are great places to stop.

If you do the Nashville, Memphis route there are other places to stop along the way like Vicksburg and you can even add San Antonio.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP PLEASE: Road Trip from New York to Austin

Check out partying in Atlantic City, Ocean City or Myrtle beach but 2 weeks will be a bit short to do all you've planned then.

5. Re: HELP PLEASE: Road Trip from New York to Austin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 05:19