We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Road Trip for Western Europe

Jakarta, Indonesia
8 posts
Save Topic
Short Road Trip for Western Europe

Hi guys!!!

I'm going to stay in Holland for 3 weeks this coming April. I plan to have a short road trip start from Holland with my friend who lives in Germany. She'll going to pick me up at Holland.

However, she told me that she could only be free over the weekend, perhaps from Thursday night until Sunday night. I know it's a very short one.

Could anyone suggest me some good routes to do the short road trip around western Europe or Central Europe and seeing tourist attraction at the same time?

Thanks heaps ^^

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Road Trip for Western Europe

Hi Crystal

Welcome to the Road Trips forum.

By my count that just 4 nights and 3 full days for the road trip, short indeed.

Please would you answer some further questions to help us make useful suggestions for this road trip. I know you've mentioned western or central Europe, but are you after cities or rural attractions? Do you want somewhere for the first night, or will that be spent where you start in Holland? And where in Holland? I know it's not a large country, but the city name might help us.

It would also help to have the dates, as the Easter public holidays fall in April, and this may impact your travel plans.

When we have more of an idea of your intentions, I'm sure regulars of this forum would gladly offer up suggestions, and I expect our senior expert, Tet, as Holland is his home country, will be delighted to contribute.

SWT

Jakarta, Indonesia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Road Trip for Western Europe

Hi SWT,

I know it's a very short trip as we think about starting it from Wednesday/Thursday until Sunday. I'd like to try road trip though, never really done it before.

I'll be staying at Dordrecht and my friend will pick me up. Since my friend will come from Germany, so I don't think visiting Germany is a good idea. We're more to rural attractions, a bit of a city near the mountain perhaps... ^^

I will come after Easter, so I think after Easter some cities will be back to normal activity.

Thanks again for the help ^^

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Road Trip for Western Europe

April 26 this year is Kings Day and it will be very busy anywhere you go. From Dordrecht you're close to Zeeland. That's great province all about water. You can visit Zeeland, drive to Bruge in Belgium for a visit maybe even Gent and Antwerp and drive back to Dordrecht via Kinderdijk. Breda is another nice town worth a visit and so is 's Hertogenbosch. Absolutely no mountains.....

Tet

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Road Trip for Western Europe

As Tet says, no mountains. To reach mountains you'd have to drive so much further. Unless you wish to drive for the sake of driving, with so many interesting places to visit much nearer where you start from, and it seems they would all be unfamiliar to you anyway, I can see no merit in driving further.

SWT

Jakarta, Indonesia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Road Trip for Western Europe

Hi Tet and SWT,

Thanks for your replies. I have it discussed with my friend and she agreed to follow Tet's suggestions as she's not got a chance to visit Belgium and some part of Holland too.

Thanks again ^^

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Road Trip for Western Europe

Glad to hear you've agreed on where to visit, and are not trying to be too ambitious.

For late April, you can be lucky with weather or not - but you'll have come prepared for the previous 3 weeks anyway.

Depending on how early or late Spring is this year, you could well see bulb fields with lots of colour along the roads as you drive.

Please may I recommend this website to you, or your friend, if they are the actual planner of where you go. It shows shortest or most scenic route between 2 points, if you want:

www.viamichelin.com/

Please let us know how it went on your return.

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Road Trip for Western Europe

Abundant bulbfields north of Dordrecht called "The Keukenhof"

www.keukenhof.nl/en/775/entree-2014.html

8. Re: Short Road Trip for Western Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 05:16