We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mississippi/Louisiana road trip

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Mississippi/Louisiana road trip

I'm planning on driving from St. Louis or Memphis to New Orleans along the river, can anyone give me suggestions on that? I mean, is it a beautiful drive as far as what to see while driving? What cities should I stop? How many days are necessary? Or should I fly to new orleans, get a car there and do day trips from there? I'm planning on going in mid May and spend a week on this. any special tips or suggestions? thank you very much,

Lúcia

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,088 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mississippi/Louisiana road trip

I will assume you are starting from Memphis because that is more my frame of expertise.

Memphis- 2 days- Sun Studios, Civil Rights, Beale Street and Graceland- stay downtown- can take shuttle out to Graceland- only a couple of hotels out near Graceland.

Can either take the interstate or take the Great River road Hwy 61 which is scenic. Between Vicksburg and Natchez you can either take Hwy 61 or the Natchez Trace.

Drive to Vicksburg- spend the rest of the day touring the National Civil War battlefield, museum, etc and be sure and see the fascinating USS Cairo exhibit, go to historic downtown and see murals along the MS River- eat dinner at Rusty's on the river- stay Vicksburg.

Drive to Natchez- spend the day touring some of the lovely antebellum plantations- Melrose, Monmouth, Longwood, visit the park along the MS River and historic downtown- stay Natchez.

Drive to New Orleans- spend the rest of your time there- stay in French quarter- do a swamp tour or take a tour on one of the paddleboats on the MS River, enjoy jazz, eat great food, visit Jackson square, etc.

Let us know if you have other questions!!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mississippi/Louisiana road trip

Whether or not the St. Louis to Memphis drive is worth your time depends on how much time you actually have. You would probably want two nights for St. Louis, at least, but the drive down can honestly be done in a day. Once you get south of Cape Girardeau and where the Ohio meets the river, it's really flat and boring. I usually end up on the interstate. Ste. Genevieve and Kaskaskia are really the most interesting places on that route. If you have any interest in Popeye, you can also shoot across the bridge to Chester, where there's a museum and several statues of the characters. I also find Cairo interesting, but I like that sort of abandonment and decay.

You may want to look at both the costs of the flight (Memphis tends to be more expensive) and the cost of the rental car. One-ways are always pricey but, when you go across zones, like you will certainly be doing by starting in St. Louis, it can get more expensive.

Hope that helps though.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mississippi/Louisiana road trip

Hi Reislu,

I second Peachbelle's great advice! It's a worthwhile road trip and I would follow her itinerary. Definitely try to fit in some time on Natchez Trace Parkway - it's a beautiful ride with lots to see along the way. Here's an article that covers some of the highlights:

rd.com/advice/travel/tennessees-natchez-trac…

Hope this helps-

Tara

4. Re: Mississippi/Louisiana road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 05:19