We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip 2014

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip 2014

Hi, my wife and I are planning a fly drive road trip in Sep 14. We have a tentative itinerary and I would welcome any advice comments:

Arrive LAX on 7 Sep @ 1340

Night 1 - Laguna Beach

Night 2 - Laughlin

Night 3 - Flagstaff

Night 4 - Page (Lake Powell)

Night 5 - Zion

Night 6, 7 & 8 - Las Vegas

Night 9 - Lone Pine

Night 10 - Yosemite

Night 11,12 & 13 - San Francisco

Night 14 - Monterey

Night 15 - Cambria

Night 16 - Ventura

Next day, return car and fly out of LAX. The total mileage is around 2000 miles. We understand that there will be some long days in the car; however, to get everything in and to see all the sites we want too, this is something we are prepared for.

Any advice or alternative locations we haven't considered will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Si

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,284 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip 2014

Just a couple of points

Las Vegas - Try to avoid being there on Fri/Sat nights as room rates can be 3 or 4 x midweek rates.

San Francisco - Consider dropping on your car on arrival and picking up another on departure as it will save a couple of days rental as well as avoiding expensive parking fees. You don't need a car in SF and there shouldn't be any one way drop off fees between LA and SF (or vice versa).

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,988 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip 2014

Just one night for Yosemite? And spending a night in Laughlin? I don't understand.

I'd keep the car in SF and just stay in a motor-inn with free parking, but that's my travel style. What is yours? Maybe you want to drop the first car and pick up a convertible for the coastal drive.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip 2014

Dropping off a car and renting another one is too much hassle for us plus we like driving those steep hills in San Francisco.

I'd skip Laguna beach, stay Grand Canyon NP instead Flagstaff ( reservations www.grandcanyonlodges.com ) Add a night to Bryce and one day less in Las vegas adding a night to Yosemite. But it's your trip of course.

Tet

4. Re: Road Trip 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:20