We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Accommodation in California

watford
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Accommodation in California

I am planning a family trip (5 adults), 3 are my children but all grown up to California mid June for approximately 16 days. I will most likely be travelling from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, Yosemite, San Francisco and along the coast to Los Angeles.

Obviously I know it won't be a cheap trip but just wondered if anyone knows of hotels that will accommodate 5 in a room as opposed to taking 2 rooms which will inevitably double to cost of the accommodation.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,775 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Accommodation in California

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forum.

Do your research as you normally would and rule hotels OUT because they can't accommodate you rather than IN because they can. Because you'll find loads that can. Then you can concentrate on all the other factors that are important to a hotel booking like cost, location and amenities.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,882 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Accommodation in California

Most hotels in California will not sleep 5 in a room unless they have "family suites." You'll want to find those, otherwise yes, the cost will go much higher. Junior suites, suite, family suite - these are all code for "sleeps more than 4."

www.booking.com can be very helpful here.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 16:08
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,775 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Accommodation in California

bewitchedwatford - Seems I may have given you a bum steer. My apologies if I did and I hope it hasn't caused any problems. Don't let it stop you making sure to consider all the other important factors while choosing your hotel. Good luck!

LeBiscuit D - You're going Road Trips crazy! Hope you're going to spare some time for me and my ongoing Malibu beach conundrum as well... ;)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Accommodation in California

Hi bewitchedwatford, and welcome to TripAdvisor forum.

The best information about each destination is going to be that city/destination forum. Rules vary, city by city.

So look at the destination page, San Francisco for example. (You need to be on the full TripAdvisor website, not the mobile app.) On the right side is a section called "Top Questions." Folks who know & love that destination have selected topics that they think are most relevant to visitors of that city/destination.

The Top Q on the San Francisco forum includes an article about lodging for a family of 5. Some of those ideas might work for you. But note that a family of 5 is usually not 5 adults. Hotels that will allow 4 adults + 1 child might not allow 5 adults. And some of those options are just 3 beds or 2 beds + sofabed. If you want a bed for each of your "kids", you'll have to hunt more thoroughly.

I think the L.A. fire code allows only 4 per room, so you might want to look for a suite. Ask on the L.A. forum page after reading the relevant Top Q.

Yosemite has some 5 person lodging options, but if you're thinking about June 2014 then you might be out of luck. Folks begin planning summer trips a year in advance. Check the Top Q on the Yosemite forum and then post there.

Last tip ~ if you can start in Phoenix PHX, you won't have to backtrack to Las Vegas. Or maybe you can skip the eastern Sierra and make a one way drive like this: LAS - Las Vegas - South Rim GCNP - L.A. - Pismo Beach - Monterey - Yosemite Valley - San Francisco {drop car} - SFO

Loop with LAS... LAS - Las Vegas - South Rim GCNP - L.A. - Pismo Beach - Monterey - San Francisco - Yosemite Valley - Lone Pine - Las Vegas.

Your planned route would be Las Vegas - GCNP - Las Vegas (or just bypassing it, but going through again) - Death Valley / Lone Pine - Yosemite Valley - San Francisco {with a car, find free parking?} - Monterey - Pismo Beach - L.A. - LAX

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Accommodation in California

Hi,

You may want to check Hilton's Embassy Suites or Homewood Suites hotels. You may have to trade off location for a suite that will accommodate all of you.

Zed

watford
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Accommodation in California

Many thanks for your response. I will look at the website.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,774 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Accommodation in California

Hi

As already said, for specific advice of the level of detail that you want, you either need to do your own research using websites that give lots of hotel specific info, or ask for personal recommendations on destination forums for each place you stop for the night, or may stop for the night.

However, for road trip advice, for your 16 days, we can help make suggestions and offer opinions on how to do the trip, etc.

Have you got a car large enough for 5 adults sorted? Again, we can offer help with that, including how to get drop fee free car rentals as a Brit even if you end the trip at a different airport.

For any stays in national parks, you need to get our skates on to find accommodation. Again, there are specific forums which can help with the accommodation queries, plus suggestions of how to make the best of the great parks.

SWT

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,933 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Accommodation in California

Las Vegas - recommend doing a time share, for example at Tahiti Village, on same road as the strip, with a shuttle bus that leaves regularly, May work out well with adult children.

tahitivillage.com/Tahiti-Village-Room-Royal-…

Yosemite - look at Yosemite West for lodging

http://www.yosemitewest.com/

various lodging options described on that site that will work for your size group.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 01:13
9. Re: Hotel Accommodation in California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 05:21