We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip may 2015

Lanark, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip may 2015

Me and a couple of pals are doing a road trip in May next year. We are looking at flying from Glasgow to newark and picking up a car. From there head up to Boston the same day after 2 days there head out to Albany for a couple of day. On to buffalo for a couple of days then head on to Pittsburg for a other couple of nights. Next up a day in Gettysburg then on to Washington for a couple of nights. Heading up to Philadelphia for a couple of nights before dropping the car off then heading in to New York for the last couple of night before flying back to Glasgow. I have in mind a few things I want to do but was wondering what yous think of this and what there is to do along the way? We are in to anything really from history to sports. Any different routes you would take or add anything else in.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip may 2015

Can I ask how you chose this route? It's a strange one for UK tourists. I mean, Albany, Buffalo... Most Americans have no desire to visit these cities.

First, I should potentially state the obvious and warn about the weather. It can snow well into May in Buffalo and other parts of Upstate New York. I was up there in June several years ago and I recall it requiring a sweatshirt through much of the day. Just bring something a little warm, just in case.

For the sports, it depends on which sports interest you. American football will not be going on. NBA will likely be over, as will NHL hockey. Only baseball will be going on. You're passing through several major league (baseball) cities but also some minor league cities.

Still, you may want to check out tours of Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, where the Steelers play. I haven't done it, personally, but it's supposed to be very good: steelers.com/tickets-and-stadium/heinz-field…

Additionally, in Buffalo, I would suggest you try for a Bisons (local minor league baseball team) game. The stadium is nice and the team is well-supported locally. http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=l117

Buffalo also has a fascinating history, and there is at least one museum and several tours dedicated to the area's history that may be of interest to you.

It's not on the history or sports list, but Niagara Falls is well worth the drive up, as it's one of those things that everyone should see, if they have the chance.

If you have time, the back roads between Rochester and Buffalo are nice. US 20 goes through the Finger Lakes region, which will mostly shut down in May (too early), but it's still very pretty. You can also follow the Lake Ontario Parkway and drop down via Lockport (Erie Canal history) to Buffalo. The Great Lakes are generally very pretty, but this appears to be your only real chance at seeing one of them.

Going up to Syracuse, you may want to think about taking Route 17 through the Catskill Mountains. Very pretty, though the Hudson Valley (NYC to Albany) is gorgeous as well, so it's kind of a toss up.

You will be skipping quite a bit by driving directly from New York to Boston, but it doesn't seem like you have much time for this. You may want to consider taking the train up or even flying to Boston, just because it's not a car-friendly city at all. If you're staying in the city, it's very expensive and often difficult to park a car at a hotel, and there's no real reason to have a car when visiting the city.

On the way out of Boston, Lexington and Concord are worth a visit. These were the first battle sites of the American Revolution. Not too far out of the way either.

Hope that helps.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip may 2015

Depends on how late your flight arrives. It easily can take 2 hours from landing to being on the road with immigration and all but we didnot find Newark the worst place for that. Driving to Boston same day on the wrong side of the road in heavy raffic (and some complicated directions) is not what I would want to do We stayed near the a/p and took a leisurely drive to Boston next day through Hudson Valley first. From Boston we took the scenic drives throug Berkshires (Mohawk Trail) and Catskills. All very scenic.

Tet

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,481 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip may 2015

Hi.

Yeah, route choice is a bit unusual but heh, it's your trip.

I was thinking along the same lines as Tet about off a transatlantic flight for a drive to Boston though. Sport that time of year will be baseball, and that route will give you a few options which should tie up with your timing somewhere.

Basketball is into playoff season, so even if you get near a game, tickets might be hard to come by.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip may 2015

Welcome to the forum, Kevin!

The New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox are two great old Major League ball clubs. Seeing either of them play would be quite the experience. Philadelphia, Washington and Pittsburgh also have Major League teams.

I will echo the concerns about your driving after a transatlantic flight. You will be facing some hellacious highways. I also wonder if you could lengthen your stays in some cities. A couple of nights in a city means that you spend much of the day getting there, have one full day, and then head out the next day for another couple of nights.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,452 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip may 2015

Hi

Why are you flying to a NYC area airport to head immediately to Boston? Either fly to Boston in the first place to pick up the car, or take a train or bus from NYC area to Boston. Cheaper and safer with the jet lag, I'd have thought.

As already said, very strange route for a foreign tourist? Is there a theme we've missed?

As you cannot book flights for May 2015 until late June 2014 at the earliest, still lots of time to sort out the trip and make it work. But please take onboard the many valuable comments made above about sports seasons, time/nights needed to be spent in cities to actually see anything, etc. Then there's driving times in several rather congested parts of the USA in between the scenic areas.

SWT

Lanark, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip may 2015

I have been to New York for the last 3 years on holiday for a few weeks. The route was one I was thinking about as it lets me see a few cities that I wanted to see and Albany was added so I don't have to do a lot of driving in one go. I know that the nfl would not be on or the ice hockey. Will look in to flying in to boston. We are planning on staying just outside or on the city limits so I don't have to drive in the cities and can get the subway or bus in to what we want to see. I will take all this on board and if yous can think of anything else just let me know.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip may 2015

The distances are relatively short in the east.

Cleveland would offer much more than Buffalo, apart from Niagara Falls, on your trip. E.g., the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. It has a Major League baseball stadium uniquely situated in the heart of its downtown.

However, I have a hunch your group would really enjoy Cedar Point and Put-in-Bay on South Bass Island, although Put-in-Bay may not be hopping until late May. See especially post 1 in the following link.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50940-i266-k71012…

Good planning!

Edited: 07 March 2014, 18:28
Lanark, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip may 2015

Cheers never thought of cider point. Was going to buffalo for the falls but might look in to Cleveland.

9. Re: Road trip may 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 06:21