We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

ct
13 posts
LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

My husband, son (14) and I will be traveling from Boston to LA April 12-19. From LA we plan to go to Sequoia then on to the Grand Canyon, flying home from Phoenix. I was planning on just finding accommodations as needed, is that ridiculous? Also, can anyone help with a reasonable travel plan? I've been reading all the forums but cant quite figure it all out. Thank you very much

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
1. Re: LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Does the 7 nights include your time in LA? Going to be a pretty fast trip if it does, and note SEKI can still be quite snowy in April (depending on this years snow pack and April weather?).

2 nights LA.

2 nights SEKI.

1 night Ridgecrest or DV (long drive).

1 night Vegas through Death Valley.

1 night GCNP

Drive to Phoenix and fly home.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 12:33
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
2. Re: LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

On such a short trip, I'd book your accommodation in advance, especially the in-park ones, if you can find vacancies, so you can maximise your time betweem stops.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,103 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

I was also going to suggest for a short duration, jam packed trip you might want to reconsider advance reservations instead of winging it, but Valiant beat me to it.

Even in April, as it's relatively soon now, you may need to call for lodging within the national parks. Do make sure you book with direct concessionaire for best prices, agents add commission and don't have access to short notice availability from cancellations.

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

Maybe wing it to Seki but definitely make reservations in Death Valley and Grand Canyon www.grandcayonlodges.com for the last one.

GC to PHoenix still is a 4 hours drive so it all depends how late your flight leaves from Phx.

ct
13 posts
5. Re: LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

Is it possible to drive through Death Valley?

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
6. Re: LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

Of course it is! Why would it not be? It's not the Summer, and even then it's possible.

Just follow Ca 190, from US395.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
7. Re: LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

Here is the National Park info for Death Valley.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

ct
13 posts
8. Re: LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

Thank you!!! Every map I looked at does not show a highway through it and all the generated maps I've made for to and from different places always maps around it!

Edited: 08 March 2014, 18:30
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
9. Re: LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

Happy to help : ). It would be a pity to miss out on such a unique place due to some dodgy mapping.

Google maps is usually pretty good at showing all the detail you need for most trip planning, but good paper or laminate maps like Rand McNally's series are best for on the road I find...........better still with a good navigator in the passenger seat of course.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 19:19
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,791 posts
113 reviews
10. Re: LA to Sequoia to Grand Canyon

Here is a basic map of Death Valley: americansouthwest.net/california/death_valle… It really helped me with my planning as the NPS map is very detailed. First I needed more of an overview, then I used the NPS map (and my AAA map) for specific planning.