We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southeast Road Trip-help with itinerary

Pa
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Southeast Road Trip-help with itinerary

We're planning a road trip and need a little help with the itinerary. We would like to travel the gulf coast after New Orleans stop and can't decide where to stop, whether to take I-10 E to I-95 or to head up toward Atlanta towards Myrtle Beach. If we go in April will we run into the spring break crowds along the Alabama coast or Florida panhandle? Or are we better waiting until May to take this trip. We are a couple in our early 60's, interested in history, scenery, nice shops, restaurants. We've been to Savannah, St Augustine in the past.

Day 1: Philly to Roanoke, VA

Day 2: Roanoke, VA to Townsend, TN

Day 3: Townsend ,TN to Tuscumbia, AL

Day 4: Tuscumbia, AL to Vicksburg, MS

Day 4: Vicksburg, MS to Natchez,MS

Day 5: Natchez, MS to New Orleans,LA

Day 6: New Orleans

Day 7: New Orleans

Day 8: New Orleans to ?

Day 9: ?

Day 10: Myrtle Beach, SC

Day 11: Myrtle Beach, SC

Day 12: Wilmington, NC

Day 13: Petersburg, VA

Day 14: Philly

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,111 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southeast Road Trip-help with itinerary

Late April no spring break kids along the gulf coast. Most schools spring break in March to early April.

Gulf Shores, Pensacola, Perido Key, Destin, Seagrove beach gets my vote.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,270 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southeast Road Trip-help with itinerary

I love the Pensacola/Perdido Key area.

Since you love history, I'd recommend Charleston, SC over Myrtle Beach (if you've not been)

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,609 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Southeast Road Trip-help with itinerary

Thru easter you will run into potential spring break crowds along the coastal areas.

I would do Savanah/Charleston over Myrtle Beach.

Pa
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southeast Road Trip-help with itinerary

Peachbelle, Wings, thank you for your suggestions. We're thinking after New Orleans, stopping in Pensacola 1 night and then overnighting in Jacksonville before heading towards Myrtle beach. We are visiting friends in MB. We have visited Savannah and Charleston in the past and really enjoyed those two cities. We were originally thinking taking this trip early April but now will consider last week of April through early May.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,111 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southeast Road Trip-help with itinerary

Instead of Jacksonville stop in Amelia Island for beautiful beach, lots of history and an old Florida style downtown. It is a favorite or ours on the Atlantic ocean and just north of the big city of Jacksonville.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southeast Road Trip-help with itinerary

Hi elegan,

I know it's a little out of the way, but another option instead of Jacksonville would be St. Augustine, America's oldest city. It's a bit south of Jacksonville.

http://www.augustine.com/

Here's a site that lists the college spring break times, and you'll see that, as PeachBelle said, most will be over by April:

inertiatours.com/spring_break_dates.php#0714

Zed

7. Re: Southeast Road Trip-help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:20