We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - VW Polo "or similar"?

Wilton, Ct
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental - VW Polo "or similar"?

Hello,

I'm about to rent a VW Polo 4 doors, but I'm afraid of the "similars". I sent an email to a rent a car company and I have been told that I could get a Peugeot 107, Nissan Micra, Fiat Panda, Hyundai

Atos, Fiat Punto, Renault Clio. - Many of them have only 2 or 3 doors!

How come I will pay for a VW Polo and take the risk of having a smaller and cheaper car?

Any advice???

We are 3 adults, one carry on each one.

Please advice!

Thank you.

Marcela

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental - VW Polo "or similar"?

I think all of those cars are available with four doors or at least this new-fangled three door set-up. (Which should be no problem for three passengers.) But I don't know enough to be sure. Nor do I know enough about size and quality differences.

Even if there are members here who can give you clear answers you are still going to have to discuss the situation with your rental company.

So my advise is call them and have this conversation. Address your questions and concerns to them. Chances are they soothe your fears. And if not you shop elsewhere until you find someone who will.

But you really have to speak to the rental company.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental - VW Polo "or similar"?

hi

Rental car companies only take reservation for a class of car (compact, intermediate....etc)

each country and rental Co. have different ideas about sizes, as often stated in the TA forums.

If you have to put money up front it is often a third party booking the car and they want their commission up front. If you are concerned about size of the class then you have to book one car class higher if you are concerned about not having enough room.

if you are a non EU resident and renting for a min of 17 days you can guarantee the car you will get using http://www.renaultusa.com/

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental - VW Polo "or similar"?

Nothing wrong with renting one of the other cars. They are at least in the same class as a Polo maybe except for the Panda. My BIL has both a Clio and a Polo and he prefers the Clio.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,873 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental - VW Polo "or similar"?

Where in the world will this rental be?

Unless you're prepared to pay extra to ensure you get a certain, very specific car - and few rental companies offer this option, anyway - then you have little choice, most rental cars come in some sort of 'or similar' category. But as said, speak directly to the rental company if you have concerns, or via the broker if you have no other choice. If you are worried that any or all of the cars will be too small, then you have to upgrade at a cost to a higher category. It is always, always cheaper to upgrade your reservation in advance of arriving at the rental desk at the rental depot and asking for a larger car then.

We have been happy over the years and all over the world to drive whatever we get given the keys to, as long as the car we are given is not a downgrade, performs and handles OK, is not in need of service, maintenance, new tires, etc. Some of the cars have been utterly horrid, others have been nicer than we ever expected to find for what we paid - and I'm sticking, in terms of my comments, to when we've got a car within the category we booked.

Most of the 'or similar' cars mentioned above, as long as they don't have any faults or issues that aren't to do with the model itself, are just as good in my view as the VW Polo. Also do be aware that cars rented out by rental companies are usually the most basic model available in that country (and in some locations, rental companies bulk buy models not quite the same as those found in dealerships for the retail market) so getting high quality radios, enhanced climate control, larger, more powerful engine sizes etc are extremely unlikely, whoever made the car.

Tet - have you seen inside some of the new Panda variants, recently? Not my type of car, to own, but much better than the previous one I had to take a ride in!

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental - VW Polo "or similar"?

DW has a Panda long ago. Yes think it has improved a lot.

6. Re: Car Rental - VW Polo "or similar"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:18