We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental Europe road trip travel guide

Kootenay Rockies...
Level Contributor
14 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Continental Europe road trip travel guide

We are driving for six weeks on the continent and looking for the best ravel guide that will cover several countries. We are using non toll roads so looking for something that will cover small towns be it Fodors etc. etc.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
22,188 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental Europe road trip travel guide

Hi Bedrule

Welcome to the Road Trips forum.

I'm a little unsure about what you are asking. Are you in the middle of driving already, or are you are wanting to plan a trip for some time in the future?

If you are just looking for route planning info, then use this website:

www.viamichelin.com/

Otherwise, good book stores and gas stations should have paper road atlases (essential in my view) or maps for individual countries. We like the Michelin ones, but several other publishers also produce good ones, including a German publisher whose name I can't remember right now. Local motoring organisations also can do good maps.

For guide books, we like the ones produced by Rough Guides, Lonely Planet or the green Michelin series. They don't 'gush' in the way many of those produced for the US market do, but it's very much a matter of style and taste. Multi country pan Europe guide books will always major on big cities and barely mention smaller but equally or more interesting small destinations, they'd weigh a ton if they covered more detail! Single country guides will always offer more depth and more details for smaller and out of the way destinations. However, which countries were you after?

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, or specific ones, please ask.

SWT

Edited: 10 March 2014, 12:58
Kootenay Rockies...
Level Contributor
14 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental Europe road trip travel guide

Thanks for the response.

Yes, we are on the road and have been in Spain for two months. We have a good road atlas and GPS. Now we are heading into SE France, Switzerland, Hungary, Austria, the Czr and then Germany. We want to download to an e reader so if we come across an interesting route, we can see what's up.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
22,188 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental Europe road trip travel guide

Ah, you didn't mention the e-reader before!

Well, we don't use one but I do have the Kindle app on my iPhone. I've never looked to see which guides are available to load onto such a device, but can see the merits. I would be surprised if Amazon didn't sell Kindle or similar versions of Lonely Planet or Rough Guide books.

Otherwise, as it seems you have wifi access, you can always ask questions on the many, many destination forums a few days ahead of arrival, to ask the experts and locals what they recommend for their areas.

Also, certainly for France, Italy and Germany, each departement, region, province or state has a website which will give listings such as museum opening hours, market days in small communities, festival dates, etc, etc. Tourist offices (syndicat d'initiative in France) in many towns also offer lots of free info.

For more info on travel help available for e-readers, you could also do worse than ask on TA's travel gadgets and gear forum.

And if all else fails (just joking) just keep asking questions about your next step here. This topic is all yours, so you can post as often as you want with new queries. Otherwise, start a new topic with a relevant title. I've certainly visited and driven around all the countries you've mentioned and know parts of some extremely well; we lived, for example, in the Czech Republic.

SWT

Kootenay Rockies...
Level Contributor
14 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental Europe road trip travel guide

Thanks again, and as I suspected (at this point) there is no "one" book better than others that will fill our needs as, and you mentioned this, one would have to have four or five books.

5. Re: Continental Europe road trip travel guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 04:19