We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car through Thrifty - hidden taxes/fees?

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car through Thrifty - hidden taxes/fees?

Hi everyone,

I have been watching rental car rates for awhile now pending a number of roadtrips on our holiday to the USA from Aus, and I have been finding the one-way drop fee varies between $200-$700 depending on the company and obviously the state - I have just checked Thrifty again and with a promo code the drop fee has come down to $64? For New York to Ft. Launderdale in April does this sound accurate? I would hate to get there and find that we have to pay hundreds extra. Are there any other hidden fees we should be wary of? We have been quoted the following:

RATE $181.08 P/W

Drop Off Fee $64

APT CONC RECOV FEE (9.29%)$53.49

RENTAL TAX (11%)$63.33

STATE TAX (8.875%)$51.10

DISCOUNT (10%)($56.86)

Total Estimated Mandatory Charges (USD)$231.92

Estimated Grand Total (USD)$743.65

Anyone who has had experience booking through Thrifty, or even the Southwest airline website for rental cars (on the west coast we are finding Fox Rent-a-car has the best rates) - please share your experience!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,800 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car through Thrifty - hidden taxes/fees?

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forum.

This is a situation where I don't think you are best served hearing anyone else's experiences. Not because they will be bad but because the terms and circumstances of any other rental could (and will) be completely different to yours.

What if a member here gives you some information and you get to the rental desk in New York or wherever and they tell you something different. What are you going to say? 'Yeah, but someone on TripAdvisor said...'

You need to get in touch with the rental company and double check all the details of your rental. Be really fussy with your questions. Leave no stone unturned. Bore them. Bore yourself! Then ask everything again. Then phone up two days later and go through the process again. Seriously.

The only way you are going to be totally comfortable with what you are booking is to check all the details thoroughly yourself.

If you're not happy with what you are being told go elsewhere until you are. Or at least until you establish a pattern.

Incidentally, I would definitely consider looking into Australian-based third party companies. You may find plenty of non-resident terms apply that could save you money. Worth a look.

Best of luck.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,867 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car through Thrifty - hidden taxes/fees?

You don't indicate the length of the rental, but I'm assuming it's two weeks based on the estimated grand total. As suggested, you would be much better served NOT dealing directly with the rental companies but with an Australian broker who is packaging it for the more unique needs of your market. You'll likely find rates that include drop fees and, even more importantly, include insurance, which is not included in your estimate above.

Relative to Fox out west, make sure you read reviews of Fox first. Be especially careful to read Fox terms and conditions, especially knowing any limits to the geographical area in which you are permitted to use its vehicles.

Good luck.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,783 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car through Thrifty - hidden taxes/fees?

Hi

Sound advice offered already. The prices you have quoted, if they're in US$ and not AUD are ringing alarm bells already as this may mean some of the variations you are seeing are because some quotes are insurance inclusive and others are not.

As said, to know what your particular situation is, you need to speak directly to the companies you are considering to ensure you have the full picture, never make assumptions of what is or isn't included if you don't have it in black and white on a print out confirmation document.

Also, as said. for Oz residents, have a look at Traveljigsaw as they price in AUD and have a free phone number in Oz or queries.

Also, do read the rather boring and long winded but useful car rental topic that is located on the right of the full screen version of this forum, under the TopQs section.

Once you've spoken to somebody and got your answers, if there's still stuff you don't understand, then revert here.

SWT

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car through Thrifty - hidden taxes/fees?

Thankyou so much for all your input! Looks like I have a bit more research to do :) I will definitely check out Traveljigsaw - and good point about insurance!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,800 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car through Thrifty - hidden taxes/fees?

Come back and ask us about anything you're unsure of. We'll try to help. But remember, in the end, the only truly reliable source of information and answers is going to be the company you're booking through. Be it the rental company direct or a third party. Anything we tell you will always be asterisked by that. Even when it seems like you're being given faultless information.

Best of luck.

6. Re: Renting a car through Thrifty - hidden taxes/fees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 04:49