We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip arizona to california

glasgow scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
road trip arizona to california

travelling from either williams or sedona to santa barbara is there anywhere you would recommend to stop over night on the way apart from barstow

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip arizona to california

Hi

How much time do you have? If you want to see some of R66 I suggest to drive the stretches Seligman to Kingman and Kingman to Oatman. Then maybe stay Lauglin. You also can stay Las Vegas in between. Will be a bit of a detour but not that much. There's one motel between Needles and Barstow in Ludlow. Not fancy.

glasgow scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip arizona to california

Cheers but we will already have been to Vegas before we go to williams and we have been to Barstow previous years it was just somewhere different for a rest stop will look into Ludlow ta

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip arizona to california

I really dislike Barstow, so I can see why you would be looking for alternatives. You will likely have to drive through Victorville regardless of your path on to Santa Barbara (there's a back way you can take to avoid LA, though it's a bit complicated), so that's what I would suggest. There are quite a few hotels in Victorville and Hesperia that are better, for the most part, than what you'd find in Barstow, and it's a nicer area than Barstow.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip arizona to california

If you are doing this in 2 days....from Kingman head farther south and drive through twentyninepalms and you could do a pass thru of Joshua Tree and then stay the night in Palm springs area.

glasgow scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip arizona to california

Thanks I will try that what route is best to avoid LA traffic?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip arizona to california

Here's the route to bypass LA:

Take California State Route 18/Palmdale Road west to California State Route 138/Pearblossom Highway west. When you get to CA 138 and Avenue T/Pearblossom Highway (it's a signalized intersection with a Mobil fuel station on the NW corner) make a left in the left turn lane for Pearblossom Highway (NOT CA Route 138) west. This is a shortcut lasting about five miles mostly within the City of Palmdale that will take you to California State Route 14/Antelope Valley Freeway south. Take CA Route 14 south to the Newhall Pass where it ends in Interstate 5/Golden State Freeway. Take Interstate 5 north then left on 126 to Fillmore and Ventura and 101 to Santa Barbara from there.

Tet

glasgow scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip arizona to california

Thanks again that's a great help

8. Re: road trip arizona to california

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:19