We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from California to Texas

Modesto
1 post
Save Topic
Driving from California to Texas

This is very last minute and I really need some help. We are driving from California (Modesto) to Texas and we leave tomorrow. We want to do a little bit of sightseeing. How to do plan this trip in one night? I just need some structure to our trip! It's not necessarily a pleasure trip because we need to make it to Texas by the 19th, but we do want to stop for the kids (7 and 8) and see some things along the way. My husband has cancer and we are moving closer to the treatment center.

Any help would be great!

New England
Level Contributor
88 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from California to Texas

My AND my kids two favorite NP in the whole U.S. is White Sands NP. In White Sands there are gypsum sand dunes that you can run up and down and roll on and slide down and everyone can be a kid. The only thing that's not great to have there is a camera, but take an old one any how because the photos I took there are some of my favorites.

Also on your way:

The Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson-- more like an outdoor natural environment zoo and they even have an ice cream stand. Also in Tucson is the Saguaro National park which is definitely worth a drive through and a get out and walk if you and the kids need to stretch your legs.

Carlsbad Caverns in western NM is worth a stop-- you might need a half day to walk the whole way through.

Now that I've said all that, I've been to these places in late March and in August. Both times the weather was fine, but there was some snow in March in the high country so check the weather conditions before selecting your route.

Good luck.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from California to Texas

If you come thru San Antonio stop and see the riverwalk area and the Alamo. Between San Antonio and Houston on I 10 is one of the biggest and most unique convenience stores with just about every type of food you can think of- Buccee's.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from California to Texas

I suggest you take I40. Go via Bakersfield, Barstow, Amarillo. It's a prettier route compared to going south. I've done both routes. I40 is subject to weather problems but a quick check on the Weather Channel app shows nothing forecast along the route apart from possible snow tonight around Flagstaff. So you shouldn't have weather issues but keep an eye on it.

I think you have time for the detour up to Grand Canyon at Williams. GC is at a higher elevation so weather can be an issue there, too, but the current outlook is for sunny days after tomorrow. Spend a night in the park if possible. Here's the link to the lodging website http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/

Further along I40 is Petrified Forest NP right off the highway east of Holbrook. It's easy to tour on your own. Spend as much time as you want there. Santa Fe is a unique city but I don't know if you have time for the detour. Look for Cadillac Ranch as you enter Amarillo.

US287 Amarillo-Ft. Worth is a good highway, divided all the way except for small stretches of four lane going through a few small towns. You could make a very long days drive Amarillo-Houston (assuming MD Anderson is your destination) but better if you can stop for the night in FW. The Stock Yards district in north FW is interesting and fun. Get there by 4:00 pm to see the Longhorn cattle drive.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from California to Texas

I agree for visiting White Sands NM (Not a NP). That's great fun for the kids. You can drive south of ABQ to it. Even Carlsbad Caverns NP comes to mind

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from California to Texas

I assume you are headed to MD Anderson (so sorry about your hubby). If so, that's probably almost a 30 hour drive from Modesto.

Hopefully, you'll be able to check in here from your evening hotels for some ideas in each area!

I too would do I-40 to Albuquerque, then drop south to White Sands & Carlsbad. Then San Antonio for a final stop. That's assuming MD Anderson is the destination in TX.

Best of health to your hubby.

Newark, California
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from California to Texas

how was your trip and do you think it was a great move for your family because I am from the bay area and we want to go to visit their for a while. So whas their anything to see on the way

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from California to Texas

Welcome to the forum Monique.

This is an old thread. The OP Lori only posted once and never came back. Best to open a new topic by clicking "ask a question" and get more replies.

8. Re: Driving from California to Texas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2016, 06:18