We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Australia to Europe

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
From Australia to Europe

Anyone interested to join us? We are planning a trip from FNQ (Far North Queensland) to Europe. The itinerary is changeable, depending on political "situations", but we'd like to drive all the way (or take ferries). Possible route: China-Mongolia-Siberia-Silk Route (all the -stan's), Russia, Kaukazus, Iran, Turkey and Europe. Or: Malaysia, Thailand, Burma, Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, China, Mongolia - and as above.

Open to any suggestions! One more thing: we'll be travelling with our dog....

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,850 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Australia to Europe

Hi Judith

Welcome to the Road Trips forum.

This is really not the place to go looking for travel buddies. It's against posting guidelines, but at least you had the sense not to post your private email address. For travel buddies, try other web based forums, perhaps Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum, or others which younger folk than I might know more about.

I trust you understand the added complexities and risks of taking a dog, especially through countries where pets are rare or where rabies is endemic - even if your dog is vaccinated? I'm glad you mentioned ferries, as, unless your vehicle is amphibious, it would be something of a challenge to do a road trip all the way from PD to any part of Europe. I trust you have all your own vaccinations and inoculations in place for the trip. Visas are another headache - this is another fluid issues, so best to check with each embassy for every country you will or may visit.

Surely Cape York would by FNQ, you're still south of the Daintree!

There's a lot of logistics and paperwork you'd need to sort out before you leave, and I trust you have no deadlines to meet, but I'm sure you will have fun if you make it all the way. Good luck!

SWT

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Australia to Europe

OK, will only ask for advice in the future, no travel buddies ;-)

No, we don't have any time restrictions. As for vaccinations or small medical issues, that's no problem either. Our dog is going to be vaccinated and he is going to be sleeping with us, or in the car (rather big 4WD). We've already travelled the Panamericana (all the way) and all over Europe and Australia, so we are familiar with longer road trips.

Yes, Cape York and Daintree (the rainforest, as well as the village) is just north of us.

We will post reports along our way, so stay tuned.

cheers,

J

Karitane
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: From Australia to Europe

Driving singapore/china/'Stans/turkey (not through Mongolia) april on 2015. If interested in forming up with us then look for us on the Hubb

Ray G

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Australia to Europe

Judith G, how did you handle the Darien Gap in your travel of the PanAmerican Highway? Did you start or end in Fairbanks? Or begin in Ushuaia which is closer to Australia.

5. Re: From Australia to Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2015, 06:16