We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip ohio to arizona

North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
road trip ohio to arizona

My husband and I plan to take a road trip from our hometown in ohio to sedona arizona. We would like to enjoy some stops along the way. We are mid 20s no kids. Like being outdoors mostly or anything unique. We would like to find free or inexpensive things to do. Major cities going through is st louis, tulsa, oklahoma city, amerillo, alberquerque. My main question, is there anything we should stop for both at the major cities or small towns along the way? We have never gone through most of these states before. We plan to go in early october (best time in sedona area) our main time will be spent in arizona but we have several days there and back to see sights. Any ideas would be great, again open to suggestions. Any unique places to eat also would be great.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip ohio to arizona

Read through relevant threads in this forum for many months and through relevant trip reports in the trip report sticky at the top of the forum; consider the route 66 threads and trip reports if that is an interest. Check out "things to do" for each city (e.g., Oklahoma City has a great western museum).

My main thought, however, is that if you enjoy the outdoors, consider the "grand circle" inclusive of Utah national parks such as Zion and Bryce. Have you ever visited Page, AZ, or Monument Valley? You might enjoy Santa Fe, Taos, White Sands, and Carlsbad Caverns.

In other words, do some long drives to get West.

Check the need for reservations at NPs ASAP, if interested. Also, check out the "America the Beautiful" pass.

Use the search engine at the top of this forum to find threads containing information on any of your destinations.

Good planning!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip ohio to arizona

When you have a tentative day-by-day itinerary, post it here for constructive feedback. How much time do you have for this trip?

Here's a definitive food thread, especially check the links in the last 10 or so posts.

tripadvisor.com/…55900909

Small town gems:

http://www.smalltowngems.com/browsetowns.html

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip ohio to arizona

How many days are "several days" there & back, as it's 3500 miles round trip?

I would recommend you research including a quick stop at fun Cadillac Ranch as you drive west of Amarillo; Old Town in Albuquerque; perhaps Acoma-Sky City Pueblo west of Albuquerque; and, of course, the Grand Canyon!

Lots of great stops along the way, depending on the amount of time you have in transit to Sedona. And of course Oak Creek Canyon is a glorious spot outside of Sedona.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip ohio to arizona

You already can spend week(s) just driving R66 www.historic66.com And same question: How long do you have for the roundtrip?

Edited: 15 March 2014, 11:16
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip ohio to arizona

one thing that immediately caught my eye was Albuquerque. the first weekend of Oct thru the 2nd weekend is the hot air balloon fiesta. FANTASTIC!!!!

Okay-- we've made the trip several time so I'll throw some ideas out.

--The St Louis arch. Paris Springs, Missouri (rt 66 section) Just before OKC, the round red barn on old rt 66 is really cool with loads of history. In OKC, highly recommend the western heritage museum and then of course, the memorial downtown.

About half an hour west of OKC you'll find a wind farm right along I40. We found that interesting our first trip out. Cadillac Ranch is just south of Amarillo. (good just to say you did and stretch the legs) Albuquerque-- I cannot stress enough that you need to see the balloon fiesta. The mass ascensions are breath taking.

You'll be going right by the Painted Desert and Petrified forest. Also Winslow, Az and the "standing on the corner" mural/corner.

That ought to get you started :) Look some things up and see what might interest you.

By the way- my brother lives in Piqua. I've been to the fair in Troy with him a few years ago :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip ohio to arizona

Cadllac Ranch is a bit hard to find and it's west of Amarillo. It's not signposted. Take exit 62A, cross the bridge to the left and turn right from bridge. You'll see it at the left hand side after a coupe of miles then.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip ohio to arizona

Great catch, wings!!!.... I too would time Albq for the magnificent balloon fiesta! It's fantastic!!

http://www.balloonfiesta.com

Edited: 15 March 2014, 14:27
North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip ohio to arizona

Sorry, we plan 2 to 3 days there and 3 to 4 days back however if we need or want more time we can as we don't have to rush back. Our main reason for the trip was sedona and the grand canyon and originally planned to fly but my husband is terrified to and we thought it would be nice to take our time getting there. We don't want to go to far out of the way of the main route to AZ from ohio but would like to see some sights along the way. Since most of our money will be spent the week were in arizona we want to keep expenses low sight seeing there and back. I started looking at major cities we will be going through but its a little overwhelming. I will of course be putting a itenerary together however was hoping to get a few ideas and points in the right direction here. Thanks for all the comments so far!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip ohio to arizona

ah, okay-- that's more clear.

I am also terrified to fly, so empathy for the Mr.

What we do? Leave after work (we can get out of town by 5:30) the night prior to the vacation start. Make it to Terre Haute or past.

Day 1: 9 or so hours to OKC on that first full vacation day.

Spend the night in OKC. Head down to the memorial if you're not exhausted. It's absolutely beautiful lit up at night.

Day 2: OKC to Albuquerque, NM is 8 hours. Personally, I'd spend the morning and go to the western heritage museum. Get out of town at noon. Overnight in Albu.

Day 3: 6 hours to Sedona. Go into Sedona via the Oak Creek Canyon Rd.

It's a slog,(70-44-40) but I enjoy that route much more that 70, 80 or 90 across the plains. Lots of scenery changes.

If you simply want to make short stops, the St Louis arch, the memorial in OKC, Cadillac Ranch, the wind farm near Weatherford, OK-- all breaks along the way.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road trip ohio to arizona

I agree with Wings. Memorial in OKC is a must. Cowbow and Heritage Museum will take too much time if you want to arrive ABQ that day imo but on the way you'll find some nice places for a short stop like the R66 museum in Clinton (small fee) and the cute little museum in McLean Tx (free)

On the way from ABQ to Sedona stop at El Rancho in Gallup for a drink/food and see the lobby and on the way in Az you'll find Petrified Forest NP. It also nice to see the WigWam motel in Holbrook and have something to eat at La Posada in Winslow (and see Standing on the Corner if you are an Eagles fan "Taking it easy".)

Tet