We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 66 - Car hire and motels

El Masnou, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Route 66 - Car hire and motels

Hi all,

In July we'll be planning to do the route 66, having done quite some research on flights and what route to do exactly we're now stuck on car renting.

We'll be flying to Dallas from there drive up to Amarillo all the way to LA (of course doing the usual stops on the way).

We're 4 adults and go for about 12 days, what car would you recommend? (we would love to rent a Mustang but not sure about the space though).

As for motels/hotels, should we book these in advance or are we safe to book them in the morning before staying there over night and do you have any recommendations on brands (what to avoid/what not)?

Many thanks!

Edited: 19 March 2014, 09:01
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 66 - Car hire and motels

HI

No a Mustang is not suitable. Also in july it will be very hot and you won't be driving with the top down then. Forget that idea. With 4 adults and luggage I suggest to rent at least a standard SUV or a full size. Cars like GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse, Chevy Tahoe, Ford Explorer, Buick Enclave etc will do the job.

Defintely book Grand Canyon NP www.grandcanyonlodges.com if you want to make that detour (and you should imo). Think you are fine with bookings made the morning (or evening) before staying at other places.

www.historic666.com Try to stay at R66 motels like Blue Swallow in Tucumcari and WigWam motel in Holbrook.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,211 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 66 - Car hire and motels

I think www.historic666.com might be a whole 'nother website...

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route 66 - Car hire and motels

Do a search in this forum and you will find posts listing some good Route 66 hotels. The website above should be historic66.com. There are a number of other good websites about Route 66. A good place to start is http://www.cr.nps.gov/rt66/. You will find links to other 66 sites. Also see http://www.national66.org/.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route 66 - Car hire and motels

Bienvenidos!

OK, let cut to the chase; the website Tet meant to post would be:

http://www.historic66.com/

After a long day at the keyboard, even those strong Dutch fingers are allowed an off moment! :-)

I would say, for that busy time of year, with 4 travellers, book all your hotels/motels in advance, not just for the national parks. Saves wasting time each day, and you know where you will rest your head, so no worries or arguments.

Please may I recommend you buy, online from Amazon perhaps, the EZ66 guide book so you can find all the details, alignments, other R66 details that you will need.

For more info, options, great suggestions and sound advice, also more research on this forum. R66 is mention in the TopQ, several Trip Reports, lots and lots of old posts found via the search box. It's a very popular choice for a road trip.

Now to the car rental. Up on the right, full screen version, there's a TopQ about car rental. My advice as you aren't a US citizen it to book from a broker, or at least the non USA website of the major rental companies. As you will be happy with prices in Euros, I'd start with this rental broker website:

http://www.drive-usa.de/

A Mustang is totally unsuitable, as said already. For 4 full size adults plus luggage on a long trip, go for as large a car as you can afford.

Any further question, please ask here.

SWT

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route 66 - Car hire and motels

-lol- SWT thanks for correcting me. Btw there used to be an R666 but they changed names and not to your interest Stephan. It's a pity you can't drive all of R66 (from Chicago) but you still see a fair bit. You can drive from Dallas to Amarillo shortest way but a very interesting stretch is between Oklahoma City and Amarillo but that will be a detour.

El Masnou, Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Route 66 - Car hire and motels

Thanks all :)

Will go for a proper sized SUV then.

I already bought this one: Route 66 Adventure Handbook: Turbocharged

(pity the pictures aren't in color).

So we should be prepared for loads of people at that time of the year?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,211 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route 66 - Car hire and motels

It'll be relatively busy, sure, but it's the desert not La Rambla.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route 66 - Car hire and motels

No worries. Do you have 2 screennames now?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route 66 - Car hire and motels

I travel 66 often and never book hotels in advance as I never know where I might be most nights. If I know I am going to be someplace that is likely to be crowded, like the Grand Canyon, I would book in advance, but for most places there will be plenty of options. Make a list of popular 66 motels like the Blue Swallow, Wigwam in Rialto, Ca, etc. and call ahead to book if you plan to be there for the night. The EZ guide is excellent. IF, and I mean, IF, you can travel very light, then you could get 4 small suitcases/bags into the trunk of a Mustang.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route 66 - Car hire and motels

Maybe see this movie for luggage space in a Mustang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTM2BQdOt5M

The folks in the back seats of a convertible won't be happy driving long distances.....