We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC to New Orleans

Bethesda, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Washington DC to New Orleans

My wife and I are planning a road trip from Washington DC to New Orleans and would like advice on our proposed route, we live in Wales, UK.

We will be travelling in Late September / Early October (26th Sept - 6 Oct -driving days)), and will be on a rental Harley Davidson.

The route so far is:

Washington DC (we will be staying from the 22nd Sept - 26th)

Front Royal

Skyline Drive

Roanoke

Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville (staying two nights on the parkway)

Charleston

Savannah

Tallahassee

Peniscola, then along the coast to New Orleans

In most places we will be staying for one night only

The other option is not to head for the coast from Asheville and to stay on the Blue Ridge Parkway and head for Atlanta, Then Montgomery or Birmingham and then head for Peniscola, this would be a shorter route, but would it be as interesting?

I should add that we are meeting fiends in New Orleans and then hiring a car to drive through Memphis to Nashville.

All advice will be much appreciated

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC to New Orleans

The other option would be to head over to Nashville then Memphis then down to New Orleans.

26 DC to Front Royal

27-28 blue ridge parkway

29-3 ????

4 New Orleans

5 New Orleans

6 fly home

You have 5 days to do things and get to New Orleans This doesnt tleave you much time in Charleston and Savannah---about 1 day in each because 1 day is the drive to the coast and then 2 days to drive from Savannah to New Orleans

I sugst you spend 1-2 days in the Smokey Mountains area then head down to Gulf Coast and then drive to New Orleans

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,743 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC to New Orleans

Blue Ridge Pkwy is very slow but scenic. My favorite place and like Dan suggested is to head to Great Smoky Mts. NP and stay in Towsend, TN and do Cades Cove Loop Rd. Will see lots of scenery, history, waterfalls and wildlife there. If you take 2 days to drive the BRP and 2 days in GSMNP then that is 4 days out of your 10 days for driving. Charleston and Savannah are great old southern cities and love them both but they each deserve 2 days for seeing the major sites and that would take 4 more days of your 10 days and not much time to spend in Pensacola or for getting to New Orleans.

So my suggestion is 2 days along BRP then 2 days in the GSMNP then head to Chattanooga for a day then down thru Alabama to Pensacola and enjoy the beach for a couple of days. Possibly stop along the coast in Mobile/Gulf Shores/Dauphin Island then drive US Hwy 90 along the gulf coast in MS from Biloxi to Pass Christian then head to New Orleans. This will allow for less miles and more time to see the sights along the way.

When you drive from New Orleans to Memphis be sure and drive up Hwy 61 which is called the Great River Rd. and stop in Natchez and Vicksburg. Each city is on the MS River and has lots of history, scenery, etc. In Vicksburg do not miss the Civil War battlefield park and the USS Cairo exhibit and museum. Be sure and eat at Rusty's on the River in Vicksburg for some great southern seafood.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC to New Orleans

Hi.

I agree with Dan P and PeachBelle. Single nights will be a waste for both Charleston and Savannah, considering the cross State drive. You really need at least two nights, but more would be better around Asheville and the Smokies, so use the coast nights there.

We drove Skyline Drive and BRP over three days last June, and basically we just drove it, little time for lots of along route activities, hikes etc. it is very slow going and it wasn't busy.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 14:04
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC to New Orleans

You might like to ride the Tail of the Dragon on the Harley whilst around the Smokies?

It was quite good fun in an SUV!

http://www.tailofthedragon.com

Edited: 23 March 2014, 14:30
Bethesda, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC to New Orleans

Thanks for the comments, we will have to take a look at the great smoky mountains.

We are not used to the long distances you have in the states between cities/towns, so I appreciate your suggestions, and may have to by-pass the atlantic coast this time

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC to New Orleans

(It's spelled Pensacola.)

Bethesda, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington DC to New Orleans

My apologies to all for the mis-spelling of Pensacola

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington DC to New Orleans

There have been several recent threads in this forum discussing your options with several attractions suggested not yet mentioned in this thread. Also read relevant trip reports in the trip report sticky at the top of this thread.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington DC to New Orleans

(It's ok Alun — it was funny!)

I don't have anything useful to add except to say I think you will like Asheville. It's a great town. And tail of the dragon is a renowned biker ride.

10. Re: Washington DC to New Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 04:16