We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 4 Roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Family of 4 Roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco

We are an Australian family of 4 driving from Seattle to San Francisco. Our 2 girls are twin 5 year olds, so we want/need it to be fun for them, as well (ie. not just all driving, and fun things for them).

We LOVE the outdoors, so national parks are great. We have about 13 days. Not sure what there is to do in Seattle, or Portland (if anything, in the latter, given our kids), but my husband has never been to Seattle and is keen to see it. (We are taking the train from Vancouver to Seattle, so will be there regardless.) We don't need to spend any time in San Fran, as have been there a few times before, but will be flying out of there back to Oz.

And, could we include Yosemite in this?

Thanks so much,

Heather

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,401 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 4 Roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco

What month?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,221 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 4 Roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco

Maybe we can just continue the thread you started earlier about this trip: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k7194297

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 4 Roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco

We are travelling to Seattle 23/MAY.

Here is what I have managed to glean thus far:

Of our 13 days, we could:

-Days 1 & 2: Spend a couple of days in Seattle.

-Day 3: In morning, drive to Portland, overnight here. (Question: not sure if anything en route to see or do?)

-Day 4: Drive to Columbia Gorge, overnight here. .........Go to Bonneville Hatchery - good for kids.

-Day 5: Columbia Gorge to Bandon, OR, overnight

-Has been suggested that we could also drive from Columbia Gorge - having stayed at Bend overnight, to Crescent City, CA, spend 2 nights here, and then onto Redwood NP.

-Day 6: Bandon to Crescent City (southern Oregon coast)

-Day 7: Redwood NP, stay in Eureka

-Day 8: Get to outskirts of San Fran

Now, we don't really have a need to go into San Fran, and have 2 options for our remaining 5 days:

1. We could go to Yosemite NP, and then back to SF to fly home.

or

2. We could keep driving down to LA, and fly out of LA to go back to Oz.

Are we biting off too much with all this?

Thanks again,

Heather

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 4 Roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco

Hi.

As a basic outline that looks ok. You could maybe see Mt St Helens NM between Seattle and Portland if access and weather is ok, or swap Columbia River Gorge and Portland in order, by going there via Yakima to Hood River or The Dalles.

And yes, both Yosemite and the Hwy 1 drive to LA, or even both can be done in the last 5 days ( although both would be fast paced and just to LAX to fly home, no LA time, 2 nights Yosemite, 2 nights Hwy 1, drive to LAX for late flight).

Edited: 25 March 2014, 07:44
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,401 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 4 Roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco

On your other thread you said you're flying out of SF on 1 June. How does that give you 13 days?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,664 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 4 Roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco

Honestly, I don't see the point in traveling into Seattle if all you're are going to do is race down to California, which is what your plan looks like to my eyes anyway. Your plan has two days in Seattle (seeing nothing else in Washington) then two days to drive across Oregon (all driving, no seeing except for what you get through your windows) and then you are looking for time in California.

IMHO, Washingtion and Oregon would be worth at least a week each, and you have two days in each.

If the goal is California, why fly into Seattle? If all you want to do is see Seattle and then race down to California, why not just fly?

Sorry, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around what you are trying to do with this trip. Why are you driving through Washington and Oregon? Did you want to see anything of these states? If you wanted to see something of these places, you need to allow more time: shorter driving days to allow for some time out of the car, two nights in some key locations to allow you to enjoy and experience them in a bit more depth.

Everyone has a different travel style, but that seems like quite a rush through to me.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 4 Roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco

Not enough time for Yosemite.

>>-Day 5: Columbia Gorge to Bandon, OR, overnight<<

Too far for one day.

Most of your days you will be driving 4 to 5 hours a day or more. Every day. Not sure how that will be fun for your girls?

Portland - go to OMSI! Take a boat ride on the river. That's your day there!

>>to Crescent City, CA, spend 2 nights here, and then onto Redwood NP.<<

Crescent City is on the north edge of Redwood NP.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 4 Roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco

Thank you for your comments! In reviewing what people have said, and now what I have read further, we have changed our plans. We are now going to fly from Vancouver to San Fran, and drive to Yosemite for 5 days. Then, drive to LA, to fly back to Australia.

We would like to do the Oregon Coast when it is a bit warmer - say July/August timeframe.

Thanks again...............Heather

9. Re: Family of 4 Roadtrip from Seattle to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:16