We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England August 2014

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
17 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
New England August 2014

With this being our first ever trip to The US, we would like to see a realistic amount of New England.

I would prefer to do a loop up the coast to Maine, then inland or alternate route back to New Haven.

Would depart from New Haven on the 12th August, then would need to be in Durham area for the 22nd August, then back to New Haven by the evening of the 23rd.

We are used to driving long distance( albeit on the LHS) but want a relaxing break, with good views and sights after dropping our daughter off at College.

We would like to get to Mt. Washington and the Cog Railway, but furthermore, are open to advice as there seems so much to see, but time is a little limited.

Interest-wise, we enjoy nature reserves, quaint coastal towns and good views. in general, would like to see a cross section of what NE has to offer.

Will not need to include Boston, as we will be there for 2 days at the beginning of August.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England August 2014

Here's a place to start. It's an itinerary that will base you in each place for a couple of days, with not too terribly much driving. You can tinker with it if you find another place along the way that strikes your fancy.

Aug 12th New Haven to Portsmouth, NH

Aug 14th Portsmouth to Camden, ME

Aug 17th Camden to North Conway, NH

Aug 20th North Conway to Concord, MA

Aug 22nd Concord, MA to New Haven

Portsmouth, NH is a wonderful base to explore the coast of NH and the southern coast of ME. In Camden you can explore mid-coast Maine and in the North Conway you can explore the White Mountains and go up Mt. Washington.

In Concord, MA you can explore the historic areas but also there are lots of nature reserves and easy nature hikes. Concord is a beautiful, quaint, New England town.

Housatonic River...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England August 2014

I would not waste time on the cog railway – it is very slow, boring and not worth the amount of time it will take out of your vacation. If you really want to get the top of Mount Washington I would suggest driving on the auto road, this will save you time and a car in good shape should have no problem.. I would also suggest that you do not miss mystic Connecticut, it will give you a great insight to the important seafaring part of New England history, it is not far from New Haven and is well worth the host or even all of the day. also the Berkshires in northwestern Massachusetts are the summer cultural capital of New England with music, dance, theater, and many hiking and other outdoor recreational opportunities. since summer is peak season there, you should make some advanced reservations. It's all on the Internet. Enjoy your trip.

Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
739 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England August 2014

Hi there,

We enjoyed our first ever road trip in the US last October and New England was our choice.

This is my Trip Report, it may help you when choosing which areas to include in your route.

It was our first time driving on the RHS too, but it was no problem.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…55062209

Boston...
Level Contributor
851 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England August 2014

Building on what others have already suggested for a coastal / inland route:

From New Haven up the coast of Massachusetts:

Salem -- Witch Museum and House of Seven Gables

Essex -- seafood at Woodman's inventor of the fried clam

Gloucester -- home of The Perfect Storm, the country's largest working seaport and the fisherman's memorial

Ipswich -- stroll along Crane Beach or the Plum Island nature preserve, with its marshes and bird watching

Portsmouth, NH - Camden, ME

Now, cutting back inland...

Camden, ME -- Lincoln, NH and the Kancamagus Scenic Byway. This two-lane road located in the White Mountains and National Forest is GORGEOUS and there are plenty of opportunities to park and take a nature walk and/or take a dip in a river or have a picnic

Continue inland through Vermont, I-91 or some of the state's scenic byways and quaint towns down to central Mass. From here, drive west out to Stockbridge and catch a performance at Tanglewood, the Boston Pops summer concert series. Try to stay at the historic Red Lion Inn, or at least have a drink on their porch before the concert.

I can get more detailed once you settle on an itinerary.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 15:54
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England August 2014

To some of the above suggestions, I would say to be careful of packing too much driving into your trip, or it won't be relaxing, as you say you want.

A common mistake some people make is underestimating driving distances, because on a map New England looks small, and it is compared to other states. Doesn't mean you can drive it all in ten days and relax at the same time.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
17 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England August 2014

Thank you to all and Shells99, very helpful reviews.

I will finalize an itinerary soon, just looking up suitable accommodation inPortsmouth, Camden and Bar harbour.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New England August 2014

Brett, was your interest in the cog railway specific or was it a general interest in trains? If so, there's a museum in Portland dedicated to narrow gauge railroads, in fact you can go for a ride along the waterfront.

http://www.mainenarrowgauge.org/

8. Re: New England August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 06:16