We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip la lv

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
road trip la lv

Hi, and thanks for your help!!

We are a young couple planning a 27 day road trip in the western coast.

Part of the time camping (hiking) and a part sleeping in motels on the way.

* is the track well planed ?

* What changes would you offer?

*what sites/parks did we miss?

1-3: la - arrival

4-5 lv

6-8 gc

9-10 mv and page

11-12 kanab trying to catch the wave

13-14 zion

15 bryce

16-17 lv death valley

18- sequoia

19-21 yosemite

22-24 sf

25- monterey

26- santa barbara

27- la aloha

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,707 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip la lv

I'd try to add an extra night in Bryce Canyon (one of my favourite NPs) and you could probably lose a night at the GCNP if you're planning 2 nights there.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip la lv

when are you traveling????

I woulg go from LA to GC furst then do only one vist to LV

1-3 LA---evening of 3rd drive to Kingman

4-6 South Rim Grand Canyon

7-8 Monument Valley

---if you really want to try and get the Wave....generally the visitor center gives out tickets for the next day. What I suggest you do is set up your stay in Kanab and then keep trying to get tickets.

night of day 8 stay in Kanab

day 9 lottery AM---Zion PM

day 10 lottery AM---Zion PM

day 11 lottery AM---Zion PM

day 12 lottery AM---Bryce PM

day 13 lottery AM-- Bryce--if you dont win the lottery this day you go to Bryce and stay the night there then early afternoon drive to Vegas

day 14-16 Las Vegas

17 death valley....night in bishop

18 Tioga Pass area of Yellowstone (summer its open)

19 Yosemite Valley area

20 Seqouia/Kings Canyon

21-23 SF

24 Monterey

25 Cambria/Morro Bay/Pismo area

26 Santa barabara

27 fly home

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip la lv

Dan means 18 Tioga Pass area of Yosemite(summer its open)

;)

Edited: 04 April 2014, 22:02
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip la lv

Yes, what time of year are you coming?

I'd do Bryce before Zion. If you drive from Death Valley to Seki before Yosemite you'll miss Tioga pass. I'd add a night between Monterey and Santa Barbara. Amd yes, drive from LA to Gc first and add las Vegas between Zion and Death Valley.

Tet

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip la lv

Hey Tet, Dan,

thanks a lot for your help,

we are traveling on JULY, does it change anything? any 4th of july preperations?

also do you think we should add anything else? does the wave worth the time spending there?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip la lv

Wave will be extremely hot. No shade so ccme well prepared if you can get a permit and that won't be easy at all. Road to it (House Rock Valley) can be quite bumpy.

Death Valley will be 120F. Maybe stay Lone Pine (Las Vegas via death Valley to Lone Pine, Lone Pine to Yosemite next day, you'll miss Seki then but you can see sequoias at Mariposa Grove in Yosemite).

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip la lv

I don't think you have time to see Sequoia and Kings Canyon (SEKI) but just Sequoia (and barely, considering you're coming from Death Valley and have only one night before you need to head out to get to Yosemite). You will get to see the park in that brief period of time, but not much of it.

Sequoia has great campgrounds - but if you're going to drive all the way up the mountain to it, I'd suggest at least two nights; finding a site and setting up camp (no camping in the sequoias, Lodgepole is in the pines) is going to take most of your first afternoon. Then, striking camp and seeing Sequoia until about noonish is all you have.

The Sequoias at Mariposa are pretty, but nothing like the grand Sequoia ecosystem in SNP.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip la lv

I don't think you have time to see SEKI (Sequoia Kings Canyon) but I do like the idea of going to the GCNP directly from LA with the stop in Kingman and I'd sub Lone Pine for Bishop. I also would not spend three nights on the Central Coast (Monterey, Cambria & Santa Barbara) I think Monterey & Santa Barbara is sufficient.

Given your time constraints, Mariposa Grove in Yosemite is a fine representation of giant sequoias.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,921 posts
6,058 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip la lv

I would do Seqouia and enter via highway 180 from Fresno (fastest way into the park).

I would then enter Yosemite via the Wawona entrance.

What i would do is to skip the wave or limit Death Valley by one day (its hot in the summer)

and when you leave Yosemite, drive out via Tioga Pass area and see Toulumne Meadows.

Drive north to Lake Tahoe and then on to San Francisco and continue with your drive.

You will see other sites along the way like Mono Lake, etc.

That way you can do Sequoia and Yosemite while still seeing the amazing Toulumne Meadows.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,221 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road trip la lv

Are you in an RV or planning on tent camping?

Death Valley will be HOT.

You *must* have your lodging reserved well in advance for all the National Parks. Yosemite is the hardest to get into and you should already be booked.