We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving LA to Yosemite Late October

Karratha, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Driving LA to Yosemite Late October

Hi,

We are visiting the US late October 2014. We want to hire a car in LA and drive to Yosemite, stay a few nights before going to San Francisco. Can we hire a car supplied with snow chains? Or will we need to buy before we leave LA? If so, how much $$$

Any advice most welcome

Tony

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,347 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving LA to Yosemite Late October

In my experience I think most rental firms prohibit the use of snow chains on their vehicles.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,855 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving LA to Yosemite Late October

Hi

Some rental companies just say you void the insurance if you use chains and cause damage.

But it's unlikely that you'll need tire chains. Pop over to the Yosemite NP forum page for more details (and several articles in the Top Questions about tire chains, trip reports, and more.)

Yosemite: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving LA to Yosemite Late October

Suggest to rent the car already from Australia and have all insurances included. Maybe try www.traveljigsaw.com.au

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,676 posts
5,812 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving LA to Yosemite Late October

When in October? Early October there might be a short day snow storm (We've seen them - sunny 70 degrees one day, snowy the next). However usually it returns to nice weather, and since there is no build up of snow on any of the roads yet, snow chains are rarely needed. The roads are quickly very clearly and no snow chains are needed.

If later in October (3rd week on) you might have a couple of days of snow in a row but generally not. We often go late October/early November and the road is as dry and clear as in the summer.

In short, Tioga Pass is usually open. Lower level entrances like Oakhurst (popular from LA area) is usually open...and worse case check your weather forecast and alter your plans accordingly to not drive during a short fall snow storm.

I would not invest in snow chains - but first check the 10 day weather forecast while in LA. Adjust so you do not drive during a short snow storm.....and wait a few hours...

The roads should be clear shortly. If its a strange year and we have a week of snow in October (amazing if we got it but we do need it) then weigh your decision then.

Have a good trip.

We did run into a snow storm last October - beautiful day, had dinner, and found ourselves in a snow storm after dinner. Next day beautiful sun.

Go figure - but in October this is one of those "maybe yes - probabaly no" to snow chain dilemman.

Have a good trip.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 18:44
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving LA to Yosemite Late October

Driving via 395 and over Tioga pass is awesome but not shortest route from LA.

Karratha, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving LA to Yosemite Late October

Thanks everyone!

Were heading into Yosemite late October, sounds like its up to the gods if we are to use chains or not? Either way were on vacation :) We are coming from a place were it rarely rains and never snows so I'm sure we will enjoy the experience either way.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving LA to Yosemite Late October

I agree VERY different from Karratha! Have a great trip.

8. Re: Driving LA to Yosemite Late October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:16