We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

2 posts
Save Topic
Road trip

I would like to see Monument Valley, Yosemite National Park, San Francisco and maybe the 17 mile coast drive. Is this possible, where should I start from and what type of car should I rent ? Is it horrendous amounts of driving and what are the best places to stay overnight. We would probably have about 14 days there, so no desperate rush.

There will be two adults travelling around November 22, 2014. We are from the UK and have visited the US several times before, but haven't done this type of trip yet. Mainly hotels in Las Vegas and San Francisco.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,759 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip

Fourteen days isn't very long; can you add more time?

I think 17 Mile Drive is a great way to see hedges & driveways for expensive homes, but it isn't appealing to everyone (like me.) The Monterey forum has more info.

SFO - SF - {get rental car and drive to} Yosemite Valley - Monterey - Cambria / Pismo Beach - L.A. - South Rim Grand Canyon NP - Monument Valley - Las Vegas - LAS

Thanksgiving is November 27 so everywhere will be busy over the holiday weekend. Las Vegas will probably be 3x the usual price. Can you travel earlier in November?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,652 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip

For Monument Valley you will need to do a tour. Do not take your rental car on that road imo. It is a beautiful place and the guides do a great job with the tour. There is also a small John Wayne museum there. You will need to book lodging as there are only two hotels- the View or Goulding's Lodge.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip

Ah, the 17 mile drive discussion again. I say definitely do it. So there. lol. Monument Valley is best reserved for another trip which includes the Utah national parks. In 14 days you could see San Francisco, drive the Pacific Coast Highway, and visit Southern California. Yosemite is also a possibility.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,422 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip

Hi

I'm struggling to understand you overall driving plan as MV! For example seems isolated and a ways from the other mentioned stops. Lots of missing info on what else you are interested I seeing.

Lots of different views on the 17 mile drive. We did it and enjoyed it one one of our first CA road trips. Knowing what I know now, I'm not so sure I'd bother do it or suggest it, also it seems it's much more expensive than it was.

You can rent any type of car that fits your budget, but book it before you travel, from the UK, to get the best prices, deals, insurance packages. You who'll not be allowed to take any rental car off road or you will invalidate the insurance. See the tops on the right I'd this forum for more car rental info.

As to where to start or finish? Is this a loop or one way trip you had in mind? For start or end points with non stop flights from the UK you are looking at San Francisco and/or Las Vegas in all probability, depending on more info on your plans and whether MV stays in the plan.

SWT

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip

Thanks for the info. We can change the dates as long as Nov 22 is included (special birthday for the other half!). We would be happy to do a tour in MV and maybe stay there a night. Yosemitie would also be good. Not too worried about 17 mile drive and we have been to Grand Canyon. I doubt she would want to tread out on the Skywalk. Maybe we'll use SF as the base, do a couple of two day trips and spend the rest of the time in SF.

We've been there and know that there are plenty of places to see there.

Thanks to all you others that have replied. Very fast work and good info.

6. Re: Road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 05:17