We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from CO to WA

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip from CO to WA

So my boyfriend and I are planning a trip in 2015 from Fort Collins to Seattle. We want to go up through Wyoming and into Montana and the upper tip of Idaho before getting into Washington. We're visiting family there in the state. I've never taken a road trip and he's been to Montana and Washington before, it's his family that lives along that side. Now it'll be a round trip and we'll be arriving directly into Seattle, not quite sure which part of Seattle as of yet though. The trip all together is going to take about 12 days, so I'm unsure on if we should come back through Oregon and the upper east corner of Utah and back in through Wyoming into Fort Collins, or maybe even traveling a little further south through the upper part of California, Redding area, before coming through Nevada and coming back through the I-70 through the Rocky Mountains and the western slope here in Colorado, through Grand Junction and everything. I dunno. This trip won't be happening until April, May or June 2015 so kind of just getting ideas, see what need to save up for other than gas and hotels and good places to go in each state whilst traveling.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,610 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from CO to WA

If it is in late May or June then be sure to include Yellowstone NP and the Grand Tetons NP in your trip plan. It is still winter in many parts of Montana and Wyoming in April and early May.

You will need at least a day in the Tetons and 2-3 days in Yellowstone. There are very affordable cabins in the park but need to book those early because they are taken first. Lodging reservations for 2015 begin May 1, 2014 MT for Yellowstone NP.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from CO to WA

You probably remember, Jessica, the April storm last year that shut down I-25, I-70,canceled Denver flights & shut down the WY highways for a couple of days. So as Peach implied, I would choose late May-June.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,235 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip from CO to WA

Visiting Oregon on the way back is a great plan - the Columbia River Gorge area south of Seattle is beautiful Further east, the Wallowa Mountains and Hells Canyon region is also spectacular and much less crowded.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,610 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip from CO to WA

Yes good ideas about OR- we loved driving the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Hwy and staying in Hood River, OR.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip from CO to WA

Suggest to do this trip not before end of may (after Memorial Day weekend) and do south before north.

6. Re: Road Trip from CO to WA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:17