We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Full Days - Portland to San Diego

Missouri
Level Contributor
165 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
9 Full Days - Portland to San Diego

Looking for suggestions for coastal destinations and activities...

My husband and I will be flying into Portland on the evening of Friday, 9/5 and do not have to be in San Diego late afternoon on Sunday, 9/14. This trip is strictly a coastal tour with no definite destinations in between.

We have previously spent plenty of time in San Francisco and San Diego so no time is needed in these areas. We have also done the 'Hollywood' scene.

We love road trips and driving is a hobby for us. We like quaint little towns, fine food and wine, great scenery (I'm a hobbits photographer and live for the landscape), boutique and mom/pop type lodging, as well as any other type of coastal type activities. We are in relatively good physical shape and enjoy hiking and exploring the outdoors. Obviously, we want to spend some time in the Monterrey, Carmel and Big Sur areas.

Any suggestions or suggested itineraries would be appreciated.

Budget is not an issue.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Full Days - Portland to San Diego

I haven't taken the coastal route, but we have spent a little time in Portland and enjoyed Columbia Gorge (photography) and Multnomah Falls. We could see four snow-covered mountains.

Along the coast we have stayed in Cannon Beach once. It reminded me of Laguna: upscale and artsy and you can walk on the beach for miles and see the Haystack formation.

But we fell in love with Astoria, which has lots of bungalows and Victorian houses, coffee shops, organic and waterfront eateries, and an old time main street. We were also there on a coastal cruise.

There's an old theater with docents and Astoria Column. The view from there will be perfect for your photography. It should fill the bill if you like quaint, and the people are friendly.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Full Days - Portland to San Diego

Hi vtxriders, I would encourage you to post on the Oregon Coast forum! You will get more specific information there :-)

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28958-i237-Oregon…

Nine days is *not* lots of time, particularly if you want to spend time in Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur. For a fairly leisurely pace, allow 3 days for the Oregon coast, 2 for the redwoods, 1 to get to SF area. That's 6 already! So you see the timing problem!

3. Re: 9 Full Days - Portland to San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 06:16