We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Atlanta to Los Angeles this summer

Tel Aviv, Israel
1 post
Save Topic
Road trip from Atlanta to Los Angeles this summer

Hi, I'm 22 years old, and I'm planning to have a road trip from Atlanta to la, I'm looking for a tips and routes for this trip.

In this road trip I'm looking for fun, parties, bars etc.

It's going to be about 10-30 days, budget is open.

Thanks

Shay

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to Los Angeles this summer

If it's a one way trip, be aware you will likely pay a fee for picking up a rental car in one location and dropping it off in a different one. Also, most rental car agencies charge a "young driver fee" for drivers under the age of 25. So look out for those fees when you price your rental car.

First thing to do is look at a map and see some of the potential routes you could take. One possibility would have you go a bit north from Atlanta to include Nashville and Memphis, then west. Or you could go south, include New Orleans, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, on through Tucson and San Diego and into LA. Or you could combine some of these points.

You mention fun--what does that mean other than bars? You will be/can be passing by/through some incredibly beautiful places (White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Grand Canyon, etc)--do you want to see some of those?

After you consult a map and do some research, plan a tentative itinerary and include the time of year when you plan to travel and come back for suggestions and advice. You really can't expect total strangers to plan your trip for you--but people will happily give advice on the trip you plan for yourself

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to Los Angeles this summer

Hi Shayben123-

What TxOffWeGo said is true: you will need to pay extra charges for both a one-way drop-off as well as being under 25 when you rent a car in the US. Other than that, I'd recommend you try to make the trip 30 days rather than less; a cross-country road trip involves a lot of driving and, considering you mentioned having fun, you'll have a lot more fun if you can spread out the driving and enjoy the journey by stopping often and sightseeing/hitting bars/parties/etc.

Here's a southern cross country road trip itinerary that takes you from the South coast (Atlanta is on the "hit" list) to California that might work for you and includes all the fun hot-spots along the way:

planning-fun-road-trips.com/cross-country-ro…

Some of the best party towns are on that route including New Orleans and Houston. Another fun thing to do if you like kitchy-crazy sights to see along the way, is to check out RoadsideAmerica.com. Once you've got your route planned, I highly recommend that you not only check in here with your itinerary to get feedback, but also check in on the other city-specific forums for your route as you'll get some great advice from locals there.

Hope this helps!

Tara

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to Los Angeles this summer

Agree with the previous posters. What time of year? You won't have much fun doing this in 10 days.

4. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to Los Angeles this summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:17