We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Germany to Paris via Switzerland

Johor Bahru, Johor...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Germany to Paris via Switzerland

Hello!

My family and I are planning to go to Europe on July 2014. We are going to rent a car and drive from ParisAmsterdamGermany – Switzerland – Paris. There will be 5 of us including my parent both aged 57 and 60, my sister aged 37, myself 29 and my little brother aged 21.

My sister and I will take turn driving on this road trip. But our main concern is the road condition from Germany to Switzerland because of the Alps and mountains. Basically, from Germany, we would like to visit Zurich – Lucerne – Berne – Geneva then to France. We were thinking that if the road is not dangerous, perhaps we can spend 1 or 2 night in any of the Swiss city then drive the next day to Paris. If the road is not suitable for driving, we might left out Switzerland and opted for Luxembourg from Germany.

It would be much appreciated if anyone could let me know about the road condition on Switzerland part and also the scenery town / places throughout the journey that we could stop by and stretch our legs. I am also open for any suggestion / advice on the road journey which should be left out or included in our trip.

Much thanks,

Yatee.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Germany to Paris via Switzerland

Swiss main roads are extremely well engineered and well maintained. In summer they will present absolutely no problems (well, apart from possible congestion of course). Have a look on Google Maps/StreetView at points along your intended route. Switzerland is a beautiful country, definitely worth visiting - but rather expensive unfortunately.

The area around Lake Lucerne is particularly beautiful. If time allows I'd recommend a trip on one of the lake steamers to Weggis or Vitznau, and maybe take the cog railway up to the summit of the Rigi mountain for a spectacular view.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 10:25
Johor Bahru, Johor...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Germany to Paris via Switzerland

Thank you for your suggestion. I will discuss it again with my family member.

Thanks,

Yatee.

friendlytraveler2
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Germany to Paris via Switzerland

Hi! Did you end up going on your road trip from Paris through Germany and Switzerland and back up to Paris? I have just recently moved to Cologne Germany and am trying to help plan a road trip adventure with some friends of mine and my husband and myself next summer - but we want to book it now. How did your trip go?

We are planning a very similar route only we will start in Germany and drive west to Paris and then down through Alp D'Huez, on into Switzerland and then back up to Cologne Germany.

I have no idea where to start in terms of the route, where to rent car from (and even the size because I think we will bring 2 bikes with us) and just curious about your general experience. We have traveled quite a bit and been to Paris before but only passed through Switzerland airport and just know it is crazy expensive.

If you can email me here or a private message that would be great - I am curious to know of any spots you stopped at that you absolutely loved (we are planning to go to same spots as you in Switzerland) and in particular what you did to books hotels....did you book in advance through hotels.com etc or did you take your chances when you got to a town. Thanks for any help and hope to hear from you! Our friends are deciding in the next few days if the trip is a go and I want to be able to give them some travel ideas for our great european road trip.

4. Re: Driving from Germany to Paris via Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2015, 05:16