We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camper van rental

Toledo, Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Camper van rental

My husband and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary with a West Coast road trip from Seattle to San Diego. After looking at rental car prices, we're inclined to go the RV route and considering a camper van. I looked into "Adventures on Wheels" and they don't have a location in the Pacific Northwest. Are there any other companies or sites you can recommend? Also, any idea on the price for rental? I realize the gas prices will be cheaper, but we would be saving so much on meals and hotel stays - even if we only use it half the time.

Thanks in advance!

Toledo, Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camper van rental

I'm wondering if it would be better/cheaper to rent a car for part of the trip and THEN pick up an RV in California? I can't seem to find anything that offers Seattle pick up and San Diego dropoff except these guys: https://www.cruiseamerica.com and the smaller option is about the same cost as a rental car plus hotels.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camper van rental

Hi SweetPea!

What time of year & for how long, as that info will impact recommendations?

Do you already have open jaw flights into Seattle & out of San Diego?

Congrats on your anniversary!

Toledo, Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camper van rental

Thank you! We're going from June 5 - June 16. Flying into Seattle and out of San Diego.

Toledo, Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camper van rental

We'd also be open to a small Class C motor home, but I am not finding ones with reasonable rates.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,959 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camper van rental

Hi, click on the blue link below to read a TripAdvisor Traveler Article about types of RVs - at the bottom you'll find a list of reliable companies, including those which rent basic campervans.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c151379/Califo…

In June, you'll probably be okay not booking campgrounds ahead along the Oregon coast (there are over 100 of them), but once you are into southern-ish California, (San Francisco and south) you must book well ahead.

Toledo, Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camper van rental

I tried that list, but couldn't find anything that take one way all the way from Seattle. Most will pick up in Sacramento, but nothing will go farther north than that.

7. Re: Camper van rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 06:15