We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver BC to Utah

Vancouver, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver BC to Utah

Hello,

My wife and I plan to do a lengthy road trip in our mini-van from Vancouver Canada through the Grand Circle beginning and ending in Salt Lake City. We are scheduled to leave Vancouver on June 18th and return back to Vancouver on July 10. Our plan is to leave town at 5 am and alternate drivers every 2-3 hours with stops at Bellevue, Yakima, La Grande and overnight at Boise on June 18th. On June 19th, we plan to leave Boise bright and early with stop at Burley and then spend the rest of the day at Salt Lake City picking up supplies for our Grand Circle Tour the next day in Moab.

I would appreciate your feedback on the above drive schedule.

We do not have a return plan figured out but please note that the last stop of our Grand Circle Tour will end in Torrey Utah next to Capitol Reef National Park on July 8th. We would like to head to Portland for some shopping on the way back. I welcome your suggestion on a feasible drive schedule for the return trip.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Vancouver, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver BC to Utah

Hello, any feedback from folks? Many thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,259 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver BC to Utah

It might help people if you did a couple of things:

1. Provide us with a broad day to day plan - where will each day start and finish.

2. If you know how, actually map it out in Google and post the link to the map. It can really help people to visualize where you are going.

So, total number of days for the trip is....roughly 3 weeks? So 21 nights?

Edit - Sorry, I see you are talking about your first day, going through Seattle and Yakima on your way to Boise for the first day, which would have been my plan as well.

This trip heads into country I haven't done for a very long time, so I can't really help with specific advice other than to just help us to help you with a bit more information.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 23:03
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver BC to Utah

As your former posts on a proposed Utah tour, had good response ... There seems little cause for folks here, to again, rise to the bait ... carracar

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver BC to Utah

If you'll be in Utah on July 8th and back in Vancouver July 10th, isn't that many hours of driving? But you want to spend time in Portland, so I'm puzzled as to how you can fit that in?

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver BC to Utah

VAN to SLC would be 2 long days of driving.

going back thru Portland doesnt add that much drive time....about 3 hrs longer. You do 2 days for shopping

Leave the 18th and come back on the 10th means you will be in Utah from the 20th thru 6th. On the 7th you start your trip home.

You are looking to plan 15 days and see the sites.

what places do you want to see?

Vancouver, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver BC to Utah

Hi,

Thanks for your response so far. I was looking for feedback on whether my proposed schedule on June 18th and 19th getting to Salt Lake City is doable or is it too ambitious with 2 drivers alternating.

As for Portland, we would like to take advantage of the big duty free allowance re-entry into Canada where else is better than Portland with tax free shopping. Therefore, I am hoping people could help us with route suggestions / overnight stays going to Portland from Salt Lake City.

Carracar: I am not looking for specific feedback on the actual grand circle tour b/c I planned those stops based on feedbacks from the Utah forum folks.

Thanks again.

7. Re: Vancouver BC to Utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:15