We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental vehicle toll programs...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Rental vehicle toll programs...

My trip has evolved to include a southbound journey over the Golden Gate Bridge. Toll time!

I'd like to just make my own one-off payment and keep things simple but I'm getting confused by my need to either opt in or out of my rental company's toll payment program.

It seems the following website is a reliable source of information but the opt out advice seems to be standard across all the different rental companies and different toll programs. My company is Alamo.

goldengate.org/tolls/rentaltollprograms.php

That advice being to pay the toll yourself before making the journey. It's as simple as that.

Can it be as simple as that? Shouldn't I need to ask questions and tell people things and sign forms and show ID and give blood and urine samples?

Any experience?

Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental vehicle toll programs...

Incidentally, I heeded my own regular advice, spoke to Alamo and have no clearer understanding of where I stand.

I will speak to my broker when their offices open.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental vehicle toll programs...

Spoken to my broker, Netflights, and they said it's a service I will be automatically opted in to if I don't opt out of it. So contrary advice (I think) to that website. I'm going to be pragmatic and just discuss it with the guy at the desk when I collect the car. It's not worth thinking about any further.

Unless, of course, anyone's got anything to add... :)

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,443 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental vehicle toll programs...

Nothing to add as I've not headed south over the GGB since it became cashless, just know that it is. You could ask questions on the SF forum, of course for added info.

Our most recent US road trip involved driving around Washington DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia areas, where there are a few cashless tolls but also tolls payable by cash. Our rental car (Budget) had a 'box' glued to the windscreen that we physically needed to move to a certain position for it to work to pay cashless tolls. Budget would have charged us a fee to use the device on top of forwarding on to us the cost of the cashless tolls. We never moved the box, avoided all toll Interstates and paid just one cash toll for a bridge.

Offering blood instead of a toll fee may well work in some parts of the world, nay, may be necessary in some parts of the world, but I'm not sure that Marin County has reached those levels - yet! ;-)

SWT

Edited: 06 May 2014, 10:11
UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental vehicle toll programs...

I can't help with the Golden Gate Bridge specifically, but I did have experience with a toll road in an Alamo rental in Texas.

You are only automatically "opted in" if you use a toll road without using a cash lane. From the first day you use a lane with automatic number plate recognition, you're charged a daily administration fee (up to a maximum) plus the actual tolls.

The Golden Gate Bridge scenario seems pretty straightforward (unless I'm missing something). You pay in advance on the FasTrak website by putting in the licence number of the car. The system will recognise you've already paid and it won't charge the toll to the Alamo TollPass. So the TollPass won't be activated and you won't be opted in.

5. Re: Rental vehicle toll programs...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 19:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental vehicle toll programs...

Oh God! I've realised there's a problem...

The journey I'm taking may be the wrong side of midnight. So when do I make the payment for?

I'm going in...

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental vehicle toll programs...

If I'm reading the horribly worded payment page correctly, you've got a 30-day window to play with.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,443 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental vehicle toll programs...

From reading, not recently, some of the posts on the SF forum regarding the GGB toll, as long as it's been paid for in advance, it should work - so FF's comment makes sense. You may be able to google for pictures of the toll plaza area to see what each lane has written over it, but I got the impression you just drove through in any lane as everybody has to have pre paid or have the equivalent of a season ticket.

So not long now to this epic honeymoon road trip!

SWT

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental vehicle toll programs...

Not long now, no...

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental vehicle toll programs...

Hi.

Don't forget the toll is only southbound, it's still free northbound. The advice is you pay it in advance as far as I know, but Alamo only charge on the days you use a toll lane, and at just $2.50 over the basic toll are you really that bothered?

Alamo use Tollpass, so I guess if you register it online and pay you won't get the charge via Alamo. Dollar and those with a must opt in at rental are a whole other matter.

goldengate.org/tolls/tolltipsforvisitors.php

Edited: 06 May 2014, 18:47