We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

Got so much help from you guys last year. Once again then, a couple in the mid to late 70's who love to road trip. This year we have to be in Tampa by end of September but would like to fly to Charlotte by September 1 and visit Charleston before gradually making our way to Tampa. We have travelled down the east coast of Florida in the past so are looking for other ideas. Also what sort of weather would we expect at this time of year? We are active and fit but obviously not up for tramping etc. Love good scenery, (visited the Colorado Plateau last year and thought it gorgeous) history and anything to do with the ocean. Look forward to your ideas

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

How about some of the Blue Ridge Parkway and then the Great Smoky Mountains National Park? You can't go wrong scenery-wise with them (IMHO) and there are also various pioneer buildings and other things to see along the way.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,636 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

having no idea what you've already done and seen.... my picks on the east coast would be Savannah and St Augustine. Amelia Island and Kingsley Plantation.

If you're headed across earlier, I like the Perdido Key/Pensacola area.

Georgia
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

So you have at least 3 weeks? If so, I would head from Charlotte to the Outer Banks and then make your way down to Charleston. From there, I would head to Savannah and then west across Georgia to the Florida gulf coast. You can then follow the coast south to Tampa. Also as mentioned above, if you have enough time you can spend a bit of it in the mountains just after arrival. It would take you a little out of the way before heading back to the east, but not too much as Asheville is only a couple of hours from Charlotte.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

Possible change of plans. A friend has suggested we visit him in St Louis before heading east. Is there much to see if we do this - I guess we would get the Smokey Mountains but what else is there? We have already travelled on the Blue Ridge Parkway (which we just loved) on an earlier trip. We definitely don't want to miss out on Charleston and Savannah. Help?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,311 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

So would you then fly directly in to St Louis around Sept 1 and then be in Tampa by the end of Sept? Or would you still fly in to Charlotte, drive west to St Louis and then back down to Tampa?

Any interest in music? (Memphis/Nashville)

I'm not quite following.

Pam

Georgia
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

If you're flying to St Louis, you can head to Charleston through Nashville and Asheville. That would be about 4-5 hours driving between each city and you could stay a night or two in each one to break up the trip. Lot's of things to see and do in both of those places. Your route from Charleston to Tampa would then depend on how much time you have left.

If you're still flying to Charlotte you would be doing a lot of backtracking to get to Charleston.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

Hadn't thought of flying direct to Charlotte and then back and down to Tampa. Don't want to miss Charleston and Savannah. At this stage not quite sure of distances. We have about a 4 week time frame on the mainland .Will be coming from NZ through Hawaii where we have relatives so will be rested and are up for quite a lot of driving. Any suggestions gratefully accepted

Georgia
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

I guess we're both a bit confused. If you're set on Charleston and Savannah which I think is a great idea, and you're also set on St Louis, then you really need to start the trip in St Louis instead of Charlotte.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

Yes, we definitely want to go to Charleston and Savannah. Our confusion is as to whether we should start at St Louis. It wou,ld be nice to see our friend but would the extra driving be doable in the time frame and indeed is it worth the extra or should we save that for another time?

Georgia
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charlotte NC to Tampa F;

If you have 4 weeks to travel you have plenty of time to start in St Louis, spend some time in Charleston and Savannah, then make your way to Tampa. Using direct routes between those cities is only about 20 hours worth of driving. Lots of time to stay for a while wherever you want and go out of your way to make the trip more interesting.