We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

So me and my hubby are going on a brief roadtrip in Europe. We both have quite short vacations and want to see as much as possible and hope that with a lot of good planning in beforehand we will be able to visit all of these places and see as much as possible. Can anyone please provide some input whether you have been to a similar roadtrip, any advice or tips?

This is our travel plan:

Day 1: Arriving in Munich 12.30, pick up the rented car at 13.00 at the airport, spend the rest of the day in munich

Day 2: Drive from Munich -> Füssen & Neuschwanstein Castle -> Liechtenstein -> Zürich

Day 3: Drive from Zürich -> Lucerne & Mt. Pilatus -> Bern -> Genève -> Lyon

Day 4: Drive from Lyon -> Marseille

Day 5: Drive from Marseille -> Cannes -> Nice -> Monaco -> Genova -> Milano

Day 6: Drive from Milano -> La Spezia -> Pisa -> Firenze

Day 7: Drive from Firenze -> Roma

Day 8: Drive from Roma -> San Marino -> Bologna -> Verona

Day 9: Drive from Verona -> Innsbruck -> Salzburg

Day 10: Drive from Salzburg to Munich Airport.

I've listed the things we want to see/do at each place, so we have a timely plan. I've also made sure that my overnight reservations are located in areas where there's parking included or a parking lot in walking distance and also relatively close to metro stations in bigger cities, so that we easily can just take a metro in to the city centre. I think that by planning it so much and making sure we know where to go and what to do that we save a lot of time that we usually would throw away by looking for parking lots and locations. We don't have a big list set for each place, its just a few must-do things. In places like Cannes and Nice, its just driving by, stopping to take a couple of pictures and then drive on... and in Liechtenstein its just driving through the country on our way to Zürich, maybe a short picknik lunch at the road-side or something...

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,244 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

hi

welcome to the forum

You will not like my review of your plan but you asked.......so here goes

you will see everything and experience nothing. way too much for the brain to retain any of this route in that short time frame.

5 years from now; if you do this route; the conversation with friends will be "we went to Europe, I think we went there.......and there.....and there......but I can not tell you anything about anything"

it take 2 nights to see a place for 1 day.........so if you cut your plan in half it starts making sense by 2/3 you might actually enjoy your trip and do something other than driving.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

Hi

I think cba was really polite in his condemnation of your road trip plans.

You don't say where you are from, nor whether you have ever visited any part of Europe before, but I get the impression that may be unlikely. I have no idea where you got any driving times, if you did look into that, for some of your plans for certain days, but I would say that they are very optimistic.

To do the mileage you have in mind, you will have to use the express road network of Europe. Thus, take as an example Day 5: To drive this route by the fastest way will take about 7 hours as it's over 500 kms via the shortest route. This shortest route takes no account of the extra distance and extra time it will take to turn of these fast roads to actually see any of Cannes, Nice, Monaco or Genoa. If you don't turn off, apart from exit signs, you will have no idea you have even been near those destinations. Once you turn off, you will then immediately meet ordinary roads with traffic lights, roundabouts, one way systems to slow you down, without taking any account of local traffic congestion. The tolls to do this single day's drive would amount to about Euro 46.

Thanks to the Shengen zone, you won't incur delays at borders, but as you zip along the fast roads, for example, crossing from Austria to Germany where road sign language is the same, you'd have no idea you were in a different country, you'd just be zooming past everywhere.

With vignettes for Switzerland and Austria and tolls in France and Italy, even before you add the cost of fuel, just doing this mileage will be expensive, with precious little to show for it.

Italian cities have restricted driving zones called ZTLs. Thus were you to head into the center of any of them to drive past the famous buildings and catch a glimpse of historic quarters, you would be fined large sums of money as well.

Please rethink your plan. Tell us what matters to you, a road trip or seeing some of Europe's famous cities, have a look at some maps and guide books and return for some help in planning a realistic and pleasurable trip.

SWT

Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

Thank you for good advice. Yes we've been on 4 road trips in europe before. Last year we drove from the north cape in norway to oslo in 2 days, taking a detour to see Lofoten and then Trondheim.

In Norway we drove 978km in one day, no problem, and the fastest speed was about 80km/h, so i figured that 500-700km in a day in europe should be doable, especially since they drive way faster on their motor roads.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

Driving in northern Norway where there is almost nothing - no towns, no crowds, no traffic lights not even traffic cops (but Oslo does make up for all for that!) - is not in the least bit comparable with driving in central western Europe. However, as I would guess that from Nordkapp to Oslo would be well over 2K kms by the shortest route, and that's not the route you took, how you managed it with only doing 978 kms on your longest day is very puzzling.

Lorry driver probably often average 500 to 700 kms a day, or more, in many parts of Europe - and without breaking speed limits, perhaps. However, they are using the shortest and fastest routes between A and B, they are not looking to sightsee.

Without more information from you, we cannot offer more advice.

SWT

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

I tend to overbook to see as much as possible, especially in Europe. However, even if you can cover the distances I doubt that you will have time left for sightseeing. It really sounds more like a drive by or maybe a fly by!

On Day 5 for example with Marseilles, Cannes, Nice, Monaco, Geneve and Lyon: I think you would need to break this into two or three days to see the major sights.

I would really suggest that you slow down and enjoy everything.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,244 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

hi

OK this time not so Mr. nice guy............

it sound like you already made up your mind so not sure why you even bothered to post. You are obviously not listening to good advise when it is given by a well traveled person such as SWT.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

This is way too much , you will see nothing - not even take pictures!

Day 5: Drive from Marseille -> Cannes -> Nice -> Monaco -> Genova -> Milano

This is too much. I would skip Cannes if I were you and check to see Grasse. In Cannes there is nothing to see except red carpet.

Nice and Monaco is enough for a day.

Day 7: Drive from Firenze -> Roma

Day 8: Drive from Roma -> San Marino -> Bologna -> Verona

Again, Rome is like Paris. It needs at least two full days (Vaticano + city itself).

Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

Hey, we have modified our trip. Are not going to marseille, cannes, nice, monaco, genova and la spezia.

Day 1: In munich

Day 2: drive from Munich to Neuschwanstein caste - Zürich

Day 3: Drive from Zürich - Lucerne & mt. Pilatis - Geneve - Lyon

Day 4: The whole day in Lyon

Day 5: drive from Lyon to Milano

Day 6: drive from Milano - Firenze

Day 7: Drive from Firenze - San Marino - Bologna

Day 8: Drive from Bologna to verona

Day 9: Drive from Verona to Salzburg

Day 10: Drive from Salzburg to München

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

Well, yes, it is modified. But frankly, absolutely no better. You start with a couple of almost slow days, then zoom up your plans. Why anybody would stay just a single night in Florence is incomprehensible to me, but as you are determined to do your trip your way, are unwilling to explain to anybody who has posted in this topic what you want to see and do and achieve, there's really little point in anybody contributing further.

However, once you have completed your trip, I'm sure we'd all appreciate you responding here to provide some sort of a trip report to tell us how it went, what you found time to do and what you got out of it.

SWT

10. Re: Roadtrip in Europe from the 26th of may to the 4th of june

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:16