We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the quick way I-40W or I-10W to Redding, CA.

Destin, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Which is the quick way I-40W or I-10W to Redding, CA.

Hello,

Going to retire from the military at the end of May 2014....

The wife and kids (2 under 6) are going to drive 2,600 miles to my home town to plant our final roots.

However neither one of us have ever driven to CA, I want the fast and safe route if those two words can be used together. Then wife is more interested in the scenic route.

Details- I have some pretty serious muskulerskelotal disabilities and the wife is early in her 2nd trimester with our third and final baby. We have a Crossover SUV with a few boxes and the essentials. We have to stop about every 2 hours for the wife, the kids, and I am sure for me too.

Any help rocks thank you!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the quick way I-40W or I-10W to Redding, CA.

I would do I-40 over I-10 at this time of year ---the big reason ...I-40 goes through more cities than I-10, thus you will have places to stop every few hours.

also I-40 brings you closer to stop by and see some things like the Grand canyon or Santa Fe. At this time of year the places along I-10 will be do dang hot.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the quick way I-40W or I-10W to Redding, CA.

I agree with I40. Think it's a more interesting route sticking to the highway but how long do you have for the commute? Stopping every 2-3 hours is a good idea.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,554 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the quick way I-40W or I-10W to Redding, CA.

I prefer The I-40 route West of Memphis ... After the Grand Canyon Visit ... I suggest you drive the "Old" RT 66 to Kingman, visiting Hoover Dam & Las Vegas ... Then ,pass through Death VY NP. to join the 395 North, to the 50. Crossing the Sierras to Sacramento, drive the working class 99 up to Redding ...Happy Trails ... carracar

4. Re: Which is the quick way I-40W or I-10W to Redding, CA.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:17