We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Sedona, August, solo

Medfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Sedona, August, solo

My daughter is getting a job in Sedona. Due to time commitments, she has to fly out, but will need her car. Always wanted to drive cross country, looks like this might be my chance. She has a Prius, so gas mileage will be decent. Time is a bit of an issue. Looking to do this in 4-5 days, leaving Saturday, be there by Wednesday. Done a number of 10 hour drives, but not 4 days in a row. Was thinking about 81 down to 40, as that seemed a bit more interesting that the slightly more direct route (80 to 71 to 70 etc). I know with that time frame, not a lot of time for sightseeing. Will try and hit some good roadfood, but other than that, more or less no stops. Roughly, 830a to 7:30 p of driving. Thinking day 1, roughly Roanoke, day 2 memphis, day 3, amarillo, day 4, arrive az. Would have 1 day of spare time, in case i just have to stop early. Thoughts, suggestions?

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
929 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Sedona, August, solo

You'll get your fill of driving, that's for sure! Bring some books on tape or something to alleviate boredom. As far as lodging, as long as it isn't a holiday weekend you should be good booking same day or just stopping and checking availability when you're on I-40. I did Las Vegas to Raleigh this way a few years back and didn't run into any issues finding rooms that way. YMMV if you are picky about where you stay, though!

Medfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Sedona, August, solo

Don't think anything special that period of time. One of the reasons I'm posting, just to make sure no local holiday or festival or anything I wouldn't be aware of. Have my Iphone with a lot of podcasts. Also, doing the Game of thrones books on audbile, and each unabridged book is like 40 hours long, so that should last me!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Sedona, August, solo

If you need to stop when you are tired would want to go a route that hits alot of cities so you have multiple hotel options.

What things interest you--you could break up the driving by stopping for lunch and seeing something there for a few hours so these 9 hour drives are made into 4-5 hr pieces with a stop.

In the east there are alot of options.

One thing you want to do is avoid I-95 cooridor between NYC and DC and instead get to I-81 via I-84/I-78(Allentown) or if you go to albany you could take I-88.

I would also suggest if you have extra time do it some place like Santa Fe.

If you do 3 10 hr drives to Amarillo. Then the last 2 days you can break them up into 2 shorter drives where you drive and spend some time in Santa Fe for the afternoon/dinner then drive to Albuquerque or Grants/Gallup for the night. then the next day you have a short drive to Sedona.

Medfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Sedona, August, solo

Was mostly thinking of limiting my sightseeing to food related stuff, big roadfood fan. Maybe some quick stuff, like Cadillac Ranch and Meteor Crater. Have some ideas for dinner/breakfast in Memphis. Had a great spot in eastern Tenn for BBQ, but closed on Sunday, when I expect to be passing through. Was definitely thinking of the 81 route, via 84/78, then to 40, and straight across country.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,486 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to Sedona, August, solo

Even with good gas mileage, I urge you not to let your gas tank get too low in the West. I start planning the fill up at half a tank and fill by no lower than 1/4. It can be a long way between services.

Have fun on your trip!

Pam

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,344 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to Sedona, August, solo

The I-81/I-40 is less truck ridden & has overall more pleasant roadside views... Flying home from Phoenix? ... carracar

Medfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to Sedona, August, solo

Yes, just a one way, thank goodness. Happy to hear my thoughts on route were confirmed by the experts out here.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston to Sedona, August, solo

I'd also go that way 81/40) Here's a site for quirky roadside attractions: www.roadsideamerica.com and for interstate driving "The next exit" is a great help. In Amarillo try to stay at The Big Texan and have dinner there also. Read terms and conditions for a "free" meal.

Medfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston to Sedona, August, solo

Thanks!

Had The Big Texan on my list.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston to Sedona, August, solo

In Nashville and Memphis there are a few places that are closed on Sunday.

Any though of starting your trip on a Friday? thus you hit Nashville and Memphis on Saturday?