We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip, 14 days, West coast and desert

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Road Trip, 14 days, West coast and desert

Hi All,

I'm planning a trip with my girlfriend (both in our 30's) for next September. We've done a couple of road trips but mainly in Europe and although I've done myself some small trips in the US and Canada, I'm not sure the timings for this one are reasonable or too optimistic.

This is the plan:

- Day 1: Arriving to LA in the afternoon.

- Day 2: LA visit

- Day 3: LA visit

- Day 4: Hitting the road in the morning, passing Joshua Tree and arriving to Grand Canyon in the evening

- Day 5: Grand Canyon visit

- Day 6: Driving after lunch to Monument Valley to see the sunset

- Day 7: Waking up in Monument Valley and heading to Las Vegas, stopping in Page at lunch time (Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon)

- Day 8: Las Vegas visit

- Day 9: Early start to drive to Death Valley, stopping in Badwater Basin (might try Racetrack Playa) and heading west to Bakersfield

- Day 10: Breakfast on the road to the coast, first bath in the Pacific around Pismo Beach and taking the CA 1 for another one in Santa Cruz

- Day 11: Driving to Yosemite and sleeping there

- Day 12: Yosemite to San Francisco arriving in the afternoon

- Day 13: SFO visit

- Day 14: SFO visit plus flying back in the evening

Any advice please?

Thanks.

Regards,

R.

1. Re: Road Trip, 14 days, West coast and desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 01:21
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip, 14 days, West coast and desert

Hi

>>for next September<<

Is 'next September' the one coming up in 2014 or is it next year September 2015?

I agree that you've stuffed the days too full, but maybe that's your travel style.

I'd reorganize the trip a bit.

From Las Vegas, drive through Death Valley NP (yes Badwater, no time for Racetrack) and on to Hwy 395. Stay Lone Pine, Bishop, Mammoth Lakes. Then enter Yosemite's Tioga Pass Entrance. Stay in Yosemite.

From Yosemite, drive to Monterey. Stay 2 nights. On your layover day, drive about an hour south on Hwy 1 to get a flavor of it. (Or drive further from Yosemite to Cambria or Pismo Beach for the first night, then up to Monterey for the second night.) Don't stay at the airport, but stay in San Francisco (SF) itself. Drop the car when you arrive.

==========

Las Vegas to Yosemite Valley: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361

California forum (read the relevant Top Questions about the Hwy 1 drive) tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor… Start with this Top Q: California US Highway 1 Coastal Drive Primer (Edited May 2014) tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c197885

You'll definitely want to read the relevant Top Questions on each city/destination forum page.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip, 14 days, West coast and desert

rcsbarroso, I agree with the others - far too much driving, and not enough time to see places.

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest that you plot your route on Google Maps to check the daily driving distances - and bear in mind that the driving times on there assume absolutely no stops and no delays of any kind.

IMHO Yosemite needs two full days. You can see the Valley in one day, but you really need a second day for Mariposa Grove and Glacier Point. Even then you won't be seeing Tenaya Lake or Tuolumne Meadows.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip, 14 days, West coast and desert

If you want to drive between LA and GC in one day don't go via Joshua Tree NP but drive there directly (8-9 hours drive, make a stop in Seligman for R66)

MV to Las Vegas already is 7 hours without stops plus at least 3 hours extra for visiting one of the Antelope Canyons and HSB.

Forget about the rd to the Racetrack. Not allowed with the rentalcar firm and you'll ruin the tires of your rental car.

Tet

5. Re: Road Trip, 14 days, West coast and desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:16