We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,593 posts
442 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

Found this interesting article on the Mississippi Delta on CNN.

cnn.com/2014/…

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

Nice article. Thanks for posting. I have visited the Delta several times, but see that there are some more places I have not seen, so I will have to go back.

What many people don't realize is that one of the most important towns in the history of the Delta Blues is actually not Memphis and is not in Mississippi either. Helena, Arkansas was a major river town and most of the great blues musicians would play in Helena. Helena also has KFFA radio which broadcasts King Biscuit Time, a 1/2 hr. show that has been playing the blues since 1941. Sunshine Sonny Payne has been the host since 1951. The show is broadcast now from the Delta Heritage Center, which is an excellent blues museum. You can find more info and listen to shows at www.kffa.com.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,593 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

We have been to all the places in MS but not to Helena, Arkansas. Will have to put that on our list for our upcoming visit to Memphis and northern MS.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

PeachBelle, what a wonderful article! I'm going to link this thread to Wagaitwag's travel blog in post 22 of the road trips forum. The article seems to belong in Wagaitwag's thread and CNN articles seem to be available forever.

Probably Anthony Bourdain's show from the Delta also will be available online as well, for those sufficiently interested.

I'm curious, for someone with a reasonable interest in the blues and Delta food, how long should someone with no time constraints budget for the Delta, not including Memphis or Vicksburg?

Edited: 16 May 2014, 17:59
Northland Region...
Level Contributor
237 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

Great article, well done PB. And TE, you have posed an interesting question, a bit like "how long is a piece of string?"

My thought would be to you use Clarksdale as your base, for a week doing day trips to a majority of the high spots. Then travel south to Vicksburg and repeat for another week.

Heck maybe take a month, a new movement maybe - slow travel, slow food and good blues.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,593 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

Could easily spend a week in the Delta area. We usually spend 2-3 days in Memphis, 2 days in Vicksburg, 1-2 days in Natchez and 1 day in Tupelo and another day in Oxford.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

Wagaitwag, "slow travel" may be the future, especially if energy prices mushroom. It's possible that longer stays also could result in lower per diem rates as well. Maybe you should test your theory some day and write a book!

My hunch is that two weeks might be my target for a Delta trip inclusive of Memphis and Vicksburg. Obviously, that's several times the amount of time allocated by most road trippers on this forum!

Thanks and thanks also to PB!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

Mississippi has developed a nice blues trail that you can follow to many sites related to the delta blues. They have a web site at http://www.msbluestrail.org/. There is also a museum in I have not been in the area for several years. There is also a great music store in Helena that has an exceptional collection of blues CDs and more. Helena also has a big blues festival every year. This year it will be October 9-11. There is also a blues museum in Ferriday, Louisiana that was closed when last I was in the area.g

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

The post is a bit messed up. Ignore the the beginning of the third sentence as it is mixed up with the last sentence.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

That article is just a list of contemporary listed places in catalogs of the big tour companies. Real music and the South are way off those mentioned places. I bet author of that racially colored text did not step in real Southern dirt and never meet real folks.

She just did not mention Deliverance movie for her picture to be according to her expectations.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting article on Mississippi Delta

Tvrtko, so what would you recommend to experience "real music and the South" on a route between Memphis and NO?