We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baltimore to Seattle Itinerary

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Baltimore to Seattle Itinerary

Planning a summer road trip from Baltimore area to Seattle. Primary objective is to deliver a car to my son who recently relocated, but would like to do some sightseeing along the way. My itinerary currently looks like:

Day 1 - Drive to Dayton, OH area (for quick family visit)

Day 2 - Drive to Chicago (visit Chicago 360/Tilt and just check out city views)

Day 3 - Drive to Sioux Fall (quick visit to Falls Park) continue onto Chamberlain/Oacoma

Day 4 - Drive to Badlands (visit Minuteman Missile Site, drive thru Badlands park (do some hiking, Notch Trail, Door Trail, Window Trail), Drive onto Keystone (possibly catch evening lighting of Mt Rushmore depending on time)

Day 5 - Visit Mt Rushmore, Drive onto Cody, Wy. Attend Cody Night Rodeo.

Day 6 - Drive to Northeast Entrance of Yellowstone, (south to the canyon, down thru hayden valley to lake yellowstone, & then head to old faithful in route to West Yellowstone)

Day 7 - Drive to Butte, MT (lunch & Trolley tour), Drive on to Spokane

Day 8 - Drive onto Seattle

This will give us a couple of days to spend with son in Seattle prior to needing to fly home. Any suggestions or comments on feasibility of this plan are much appreciated.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baltimore to Seattle Itinerary

Just will offer this thread for this trip or a future visit:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

As Huffman Prairie Flying Field and the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force are free, you could spend a few hours exploring.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Baltimore to Seattle Itinerary

How many days do you have for this trip?

Unsure if you have done Yellowstone before.

I would alter it slightly. I would spend more time in Yellowstone. On day 7 spend much of the day in the park then drive to Missoula for the night.

Then Missoula to Seattle is about 7 hrs.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baltimore to Seattle Itinerary

Hi.

As Dan P says, maximise your time in Yellowstone, the day drive through it alone is not enough.

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baltimore to Seattle Itinerary

I realize that more time in Yellowstone would be better. May have to rethink that part a little, unfortunately I can't really extend the trip and would like to have some time in Seattle with my son before flying home. I do like the idea of spending more time in Yellowstone on Day 7. Am not familiar with Missoula (but didn't have much planned for Butte and nothing really planned for Spokane, so that might workout) Thanks!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Baltimore to Seattle Itinerary

On day 7 you can stay overnight in Missoula, Butte, or Bozeman...your call. Bozeman and Missoula are college towns Missoula is 7 hrs from Seattle, Butte is 9, Bozeman is 10 hrs, and Livingston 10.5 hrs ....in crossing ID/MT line you change to PDT so you gain an hr.

This allows you to spend all day 7 in yellowstone.

On night of day 6 look to see if you can get lodging in the park. If not look at west yellowstone, gardiner, or Flagg ranch (its located just outside the south entrance to the park).

In 2 days if you could get lodging at Canyon you do the north loop of NE entrance, Lamar valley, Mamouth Hot Springs to Norris to canyon, then on day 2 you do Lake in AM, old faithfull in the PM then out west yellowstone

If you stay in Flagg you do the eastern part on day 1 of Lamar Valley, Canyon, Lake Yellowstone, then the next day you do Old faithful area in the AM, and Mamouth hot springs in the PM then up to Livingston.

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baltimore to Seattle Itinerary

I am finalizing plan for this trip. I plan to spend much of Day 6 and Day 7 in Yellowstone as suggested (and then driving onto Missolua (as suggested above later on Day 7). I wanted to enter Yellowstone via the Northeast entrance so we could drive the Chief Joseph Hwy from Cody and I will probably be staying in West Yellowstone overnight (unless I get lucky and can grab a cancellation in the park for that night). Any suggestions on the best way to maximize the two days? I was thinking

Day 1 - enter NE entrance to Tower Junction to Mammoth to Norris to Madison to West Entrance (and West Yellowstone),

Day 2 - reenter West Entrance to Madison to Old Faithful to West Thumb to Lake Village to Canyon Village across Norris Canyon Rd to Norris to Madison and back out the West Entrance and onto Missoula.

Would it make more sense to alter this to leave out the North exit on Day 2. I will miss part of the Grand Loop between Tower Junction and Canyon Village, should I add that to day 1 and plan on backtracking at some point or will that be too much?

7. Re: Baltimore to Seattle Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 07:17