We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tacoma to west glacier

tacoma
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tacoma to west glacier

Are there any hotels to stay at after Kellogg ? We are leaving at 1 and trying to get closer to West Glacier. Kalispell looks to far, but we can drive further than Kellogg . Thanks

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,008 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tacoma to west glacier

The next place is Wallace, but it's smaller than Kellogg and only 11 miles further down the road. The next is St Regis MT, about an hour further than Kellogg. TA does list a few options in St Regis. I have never stayed at any of them, but have whizzed past on the Interstate. I would probably opt for either Kellogg or all the way to Missoula. Missoula is about 130 miles or 2 hours past Kellogg.

You might post on the Montana TA forum as there may be some regulars to Glacier who can tell you more first hand about the Montana side of the mountains.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28947-i982-Montan…

I 90 over the mountains from Kellogg-ish to Missoula is also a section of road I don't really like to drive in the dark. There is of course NO ambient light if you are not near a town so it is really dark and difficult to see animals when they cross. The Montana side is a better road surface than the Idaho side but there are several places where they are doing road work. I just drove it in mid-April to go over to Yellowstone's opening day and was surprised to see a bighorn ram RIGHT on the side of the Interstate looking across like he needed to get somewhere. I wondered if he had become a statistic.

Have a fun time!

Pam

Edited: 19 May 2014, 03:52
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,008 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tacoma to west glacier

Rats, edited once but need to add:

Really the road section I don't like to drive is from heading up Fourth of July Pass east of Coeur d'Alene to Missoula. The highest point of the road is at Lookout Pass on the Montana/Idaho like. That is also where you will change times zones.

Pam

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tacoma to west glacier

How much are you trying to drive because there are multiple ways you can drive.

Kalispell is about 8.5 hr drive + 1 hr time change. leaving at 1pm you would get there around midnight when you add in about 1.5 hrs of stops for eating and refueling.

Spokane is about 4.5 hrs, Couer D'Alene is 5 hrs. St Regis is 6.5 hrs, Sandpoint is about 5.5 hrs, Bonners Ferry, IDis 6 hrs

going Sandpoint/US 2 route to Kalispell isnt much different than I-90 to St Regist to Kalispell.

crossing into Montaina adds an hr to the time.

4. Re: Tacoma to west glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 07:16