We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week road trip in the Northeast

13 posts
Save Topic
2 week road trip in the Northeast

Hi. We are visiting the states June 18 to July 3. We are flying to and from NYC. We have been to NYC before and will only be spending a few days there. Our plan was to fly to Miami afterwards and then rent a car and drive along the coast back to NYC. However we are discussing our options of staying in the northeast instead. The main reason being the weather in the south at this time of year. We have a pregnant person in our party so we are not sure if the extreme heat and humidity is ideal.

Our problem is we don't know a lot about the northeast and find it a bit difficult to assess if it is an interesting place for a 2 week road trip. We have been on several road trips in the states before, but all of them have been on the west coast.

Hope you can help us with thoughts on the northeast. Any comments on the florida/south weather are also appreciated

Thanks so much

Camilla

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,116 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week road trip in the Northeast

depends on what you find interesting.

I'd avoid the south at all costs personally :) I hate heat and humidity. The coast is easier to bear than inland, but.... it's still very hot. It's also quite busy.

Have spent 2 weeks in Maine. Loved it, but... we enjoy photographing the myriad of lighthouses and fishing towns. Headed inland to Baxter State park (hiking/rafting area) and then home thru the White Mountains. That may be the opposite of your interests?

We really need to have an idea of what it is you enjoy to be able to help.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,774 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week road trip in the Northeast

Hi

If you have concerns about the heat, then I think rethinking your plan is a good idea. Lots of European seem to head to Florida and other places in the humid south and enjoy it, but it would not be my choice.

As to the northeast, often called New England: I don't have time now to go into detail. Instead, I'm taking the liberty of posting a link to a recent topic on this forum where I offered a fair amount of detail for a road trip in the area. It would give you a good basis, and you could trim or extend it in places to suit your needs.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k7428761…

Hope that helps, ask any further questions here.

SWT

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,006 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week road trip in the Northeast

Dont know where you have been to before.

You could do Niagara Fallsand the finger Lakes region of western NY. In hte northern part there is the Andorondack Mountains and Burlington, VT (easy drive up to Montreal from here)

To the South you have the beach towns of New Jersey, Delware, and maryland. You can visit Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC.

You could do New England going up to boston, explore Maine, and New Hampshire.

In terms of heat/humidity ---even NYC gets it in june.

13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week road trip in the Northeast

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the replys :) Very helpful. We enjoy culture , small and big cities and some nature experiences (not hikers though). We are more of the drive there and look at the pretty nature kind of people.

We have also been thinking about including Illinois/Chicago but we are not sure if it is too long a drive. Also would be great to do Pennsylvania with Gettysburg and Amish country. Is the coast going downwards from NYC worth the trip?

Sorry for all the questions. The only place we've been to in the entire east US is New York so we don't really know the region.

13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week road trip in the Northeast

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the replys :) Very helpful. We enjoy culture , small and big cities and some nature experiences (not hikers though). We are more of the drive there and look at the pretty nature kind of people.

We have also been thinking about including Illinois/Chicago but we are not sure if it is too long a drive. Also would be great to do Pennsylvania with Gettysburg and Amish country. Is the coast going downwards from NYC worth the trip?

Sorry for all the questions. The only place we've been to in the entire east US is New York so we don't really know the region.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,861 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week road trip in the Northeast

The White Mts. of NH, Bar Harbor and Acadia NP and the coast of Maine gets my vote. Great scenery, good food and usually nice weather!!

13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week road trip in the Northeast

Thanks a lot! Really great suggestions

8. Re: 2 week road trip in the Northeast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:15