We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving NYC to Niagra

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving NYC to Niagra

My wife and I are hiring a car in NYC and driving NYC - Cooperstown - Niagra - Rhinebeck - NYC this October. Total trip is 4 days and we are spending a night in each of these destinations. The purpose of the drive is to see New York State in fall, not to become intimate with the towns we are stopping at overnight.

If anyone could suggest a route to drive which is scenic and passes through these towns it would be appreciated.

The last day - Niagra to Rhinebeck is a long drive and we will probably have to use the i90/87 so a nicer route to Niagra would be great.

Thanks

John H

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving NYC to Niagra

when in October is this trip?

Do you want to see Niagara Falls?

You can take rte 28 to rte 206 to Ithica then through the finger lakes to I-90 to Niagara Falls or in reverse.

Another route option is 17 to I-86 to I-390 to I-90 to Niagara Falls.

You could be traveling when peak foliage has passed.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving NYC to Niagra

Thanks Dan,

We are traveling Oct 13 - 16. I am more interested in the drive to Niagra than spending too much time in Niagra itself. We are booked into the Marriott Fallsview and it apparently has a great view of the falls. We will only be there overnight. Wax museums and thrill rides don't form any part of our plan but apparently the falls are very impressive. We are committed to Cooperstown and Rhinebeck - they both look very nice. If we miss the absolute best that fall has to offer, then bad luck us - hopefully it will still be worth the drive.

Much appreciate your feedback.

John H

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving NYC to Niagra

You also might want to check out the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning and Letchworth State Park, the "Grand Canyon of the East," near Geneseo off I-390. From Geneseo, you could cut the hypotenuse on route 63 to Batavia and I-90 on your way to NF.

smalltowngems.com/browsetowns/…newyork.html

Make reservations in advance for Ithaca, given the presence of Cornell University there and the possibility of university events. Ithaca has a very good farmers market on weekends at Steamboat Landing.

gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/taughannock.sh…

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,765 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving NYC to Niagra

Hi John;

You do realize that the Marriott Fallsview is located on the Canadian side of the Falls ?

There are some car rental companies that will not permit their cars out of the state or out of the country. Most of the larger rental companies will allow cross border travel.

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into Canada. You may be asked by Customs when entering Canada, or when re-entering the US, for this documentation.

I like the suggestion of the Corning Museum of Glass, but be prepared to spend at least 1/2 a day there. There is that much to see !

Best Regards

5. Re: Driving NYC to Niagra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:17