We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip West Coast USA

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Roadtrip West Coast USA

Hi!

As a graduation trip, two friends and myself are gonna do a road trip in western USA. We have 5 weeks or something in total. We land in LA on 19th of august and have our flight back to Brussels (from LAX) on 25th of september. We already made a potential planning: https://www.google.be/maps?saddr=Los+Angeles,+Californi%C3%AB,+Verenigde+Staten&daddr=San+Diego,+Californi%C3%AB,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Palm+Springs,+Californi%C3%AB,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Phoenix,+Arizona,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Sedona,+Arizona,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Payson,+Arizona,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Flagstaff,+Arizona,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Grand+Canyon+Village,+Arizona,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Powellmeer+to:Canyonlands+National+Park,+Moab,+Utah,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Arches+National+Park,+Moab,+Utah,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Las+Vegas,+Nevada,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Mojave+Desert,+Californi%C3%AB,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Yosemite+Valley,+Californi%C3%AB,+Verenigde+Staten+to:Reno,+Nevada,+Verenigde+Staten+to:South+Lake+Tahoe,+Californi%C3%AB,+Verenigde+Staten+to:San+Francisco,+Californi%C3%AB,+Verenigde+Staten+to:CA-1+S+to:Los+Angeles,+Californi%C3%AB,+Verenigde+Staten&geocode=FYqYBwIdm77z-CkT2ifcXcfCgDH0CEYlb98v4g%3BFdoz8wEdhEME-SlLHpKtD1PZgDF53xX9_SE6DQ%3BFZg1BAId9KgN-Smz5dv_1BrbgDF8ee3Ch2nloQ%3BFblh_gEdy-JR-SnLeaFQ7RIrhzGsG0o1-MdpjA%3BFewRFAIdoqlW-SkNsEL5MqEthzH9jmz6I8VIVQ%3BFVRSCgIdMFBd-Sl9Gj5q3RAshzEv2jpY_PjgjQ%3BFUwVGQIdGlZY-SkxJi7a944thzEAs9vOoTwfjg%3BFawlJgIdseBQ-Skl4_-VTxczhzGhniKadMLMuA%3BFRxNNQIdvrZd-SkDAVJBHSM0hzEIK6LCusE4dw%3BFVXSSAIdDWRz-SGq5gLFqVKkFSmpphhF7uFHhzGq5gLFqVKkFQ%3BFRkFTwIdPsB3-SGVxCjRaepCTylRqg2GGvbKgDGVxCjRaepCTw%3BFZM1KQIdNJoh-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg%3B%3BFY3GQQIdZ_3f-CH-A4DtLJwkLSnF7Ir1nfCWgDH-A4DtLJwkLQ%3BFaEsWwIdVcnb-CmdoJKSrkCZgDGH9zh0zsXFQA%3BFRYtUgIdHUvZ-CnhT6XuiYWZgDGOkSP7Ri8b3Q%3BFVJmQAIdKAe0-CkhAGkAbZqFgDH_rXbwZxNQSg%3BFULoIgIdYJDD-A%3BFYqYBwIdm77z-CkT2ifcXcfCgDH0CEYlb98v4g&sll=36.155618,-115.883789&sspn=12.706704,26.784668&via=17&hl=nl&dg=feature

I hope the link works. Do you think this is possible in 5 weeks? Especially all the canyons & national parks in Utah. Any other suggestions of places to go or on the way? The first plan was to go to Colorado but we think that it might be too overambitious .

Kind regards,

Tuur devooght

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip West Coast USA

Hi there, you need to run the link through the Google URL shortener at http://goo.gl

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip West Coast USA

Okay, thanks, here it is:

http://goo.gl/Eohxgu

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip West Coast USA

Thanks, the link is good now.

It depends on how long you want to spend in each place but I think with five weeks that's a viable route and it might even be possible to add Monument Valley and southwestern Colorado (Mesa Verde National Park - ancestral pueblo people/Anasazi cliff dwellings, the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad - old time western steam train through the mountains, Million Dollar Highway - very scenic mountain road, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park).

Between Arches and Las Vegas, do you plan to visit Bryce Canyon and/or Zion National Parks in southwestern Utah? I'd very highly recommend both if you have enough time.

I think it would be a good idea to make a day-by-day list of the route - not that you necessarily have to keep to that precise plan of course, but it would help both you and people here to check whether it's all going to work or not.

It will be an awesome trip, that's for sure!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip West Coast USA

Hey,

thanks for your suggestions man! The Colorado things look really awesome, all close to eachother (on the same way) so it is a good option to do that!! In how much time - how many days would the Colorado thing take, what do you think?

Yeah, Bryce & Zion we would do but maybe we will have to skip some canyons in Utah if we don't have enough time.

The problem is that we only can leave Los Angeles the 25th of August since we go to a festival there the 23rd and the 24rd.

Yeah, I know i should make day-by-day list, I'll do that soon when I have time. And yes, it will be awesome, looked forward to this for 5 years.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,571 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip West Coast USA

Your map has some glaring errors. Yosemite Valley is almost 2 hours from the Tioga Pass entrance where your map placed it. "N"

Think about how long you want to spend enjoying a destination and how long you want to spend driving to the destination. I think you have too much on the list for 5 weeks, but I guess it's feasible if you don't want to do much and you like to drive.

Maybe drop Phoenix, Flagstaff, Mojave Desert, Reno. Plan nights on the Hwy 1 coast.

Is this a trip for THIS Aug & Sept? Of for 2015?

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,317 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip West Coast USA

Hi.

You really only have 4 weeks, 31 nights, for the road trip after a week in LA. With the Colorado additions that is a lot.

2 nights SD.

1 night Palm Springs.

2 nights Sedona.

1 night Grand Canyon.

1 night MV.

2 nights Durango.

3 nights Moab.

1 night Bryce.

2 nights Zion.

2 nights Vegas.

1 night Bishop.

1 night Reno.

1 night Tahoe.

2 nights Yosemite.

3 nights SF.

2 nights Hwy 1.

That gives 4 nights to play with. Maybe Laughlin or Kingman to drive a bit of route66 after Palm Springs, Page for Antelope Canyon, Montrose for a night if you want to see Black Canyon of Gunnison and 1 for Torrey to see Capitol Reef between Moab and Bryce.

As PNWF says, I'd drop some locations like Phoenix etc.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Roadtrip West Coast USA

> how much time - how many days would the Colorado thing take, what do you think?

Your plan already includes Monument Valley. From there to Cortez is 200km so you might be able to see some of Mesa Verde on the same day. However, Mesa Verde really needs a full day, there's a lot to see.

If you ride the Durango-Silverton train, allow a full day for that.

After seeing Mesa Verde, on the next day you could drive from Cortez to Durango then north to Silverton, Ouray, Ridgway and Montrose, that's 250km. However, you would probably want to spend some time looking round Durango and Silverton (hopefully seeing a train), and the road from Durango to Ridgway is slow, so you might not have enough time that day to see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (but that park is small and doesn't require more than a two or three hours, plus travelling time from Montrose). There is a more direct route from Cortez to Ridgway, via Telluride, just as scenic but missing out Durango and Silverton.

Then from Montrose to Moab is 260km (be sure to take Ut129 from I-70 in a southwesterly direction to Moab, that road runs alongside the Colorado River with huge red sandstone bluffs on each side, very impressive).

FWIW personally if I had to cut something to make it possible then I'd keep the time in Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles and perhaps even San Francisco to the absolute minimum - but I like the parks and I don't like cities, and you may have totally different priorities so I'm not trying to tell you what to do.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,317 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Roadtrip West Coast USA

John means Ut128, rather than129, but if you don't go to Montrose, you can cut across Colorado from Ridgeway, via Placerville and Bedrock and do Million Dollar Hwy to Moab, from Durango in one day.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Roadtrip West Coast USA

> John means Ut128

Yes indeed. Well spotted, and many thanks for the correction.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,317 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Roadtrip West Coast USA

John.

I do it all the time too if I'm working from memory : ).